Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel dual band-ac 3160 Connection Problem

MRenn1
Beginner

Recently Purchased a Dell laptop that came with the Dual band-AC 3160, and it's getting super slow Download speed

When i look at the Wifi connection i have full signal and have 65Mbps but i have super slow internet still. I have 3 other laptops that have no issue over the Wireless network.

If i connect using a ethernet cable i have no issues what so ever.

Wireless Adapter

C:\Windows\system32>netsh wlan show drivers

Interface name: Wi-Fi

Driver : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Vendor : Intel Corporation

Provider : Intel

Date : 12/8/2014

Version : 17.13.11.5

INF file : C:\Windows\INF\oem195.inf

Files : 3 total

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Netwbw02.sys

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Netwfw02.dat

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver

Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac

FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes

802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes

Hosted network supported : Yes

Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

WPA-Enterprise TKIP

WPA-Enterprise CCMP

WPA-Personal TKIP

WPA-Personal CCMP

WPA2-Enterprise TKIP

WPA2-Enterprise CCMP

WPA2-Personal TKIP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

Open Vendor defined

Vendor defined Vendor defined

Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

IHV service present : Yes

IHV adapter OUI : [00 80 86], type: [00]

IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\Windows\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {1bf6cb2d-2ae0-4879-a7aa-a75834fbd0e3}

IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

C:\Windows\system32>

I'm using a D-link 628 with Firmware of 1.25

Here are my System Information

I'm Really at a loss for why the wireless card is crapping out

48 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello House_in_da_house,

Here are some things to check in this type of situation:

- Make sure you are using the most recent version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows* 10 (currently 18.40): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75442/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160 Drivers & Software

- Also, apply the configuration from the advisory: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html?wapkw=intel+wi-fi+recommended+settings Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

- Confirm that your Wireless router is using 5 GHz and 802.11ac for your network.

- Contact the router manufacturer and make sure you are using the latest firmware for it.

0 Kudos
GHous1
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

I did all of the suggested things, and I still bring down my router each time that I connect that PC to my router.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Please let us know which power setting did you modify before the issue reappeared.

Would it be possible for you to undo this change?

0 Kudos
DCald1
Beginner

I have the exact same issue with the WiFi card, and I have been playing with the same stuff. Did you get a useful response or a fix yet? I'm getting ready to look into replacing the card to see if it fixes the issue... unless it ends up being a problem with the antenna.

ICher2
Beginner

Hello.

I`ll share some of my experience, I hope that it resolves the problem for you as it did for me.

Few days ago I purchased a Lenovo Z50-70 which unfortunately comes with the above wifi module. What I experienced was sudden drops in connection speed and increased latency (which effectively meant that for brief periods of time I had no internet), and also I noticed that after that the DW speed was quite slow.

I`ve read practically everything said for this wifi and I found this particular article from MSI useful :http://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10015790@2014-1114-0153-309200@faq_0000000001178_en.pdf http://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10015790@2014-1114-0153-309200@faq_0000000001178_en.pdf (hope I dont breach terms of forum, as I admit, I havent read them). The problem with this devices appears on both windows 7 and 8 (tested with 64bit). Applying the solutions provided by MSI made absolutely no difference for me...until I turned of the Bluetooth (which apparently uses the same 2,4Ghz antena), and then the miracle happened. I got steady download speed of 4,3-4,8MB/second (I have 50MBIT internet connection).

Unfortunately this solution brings down the max speed to about 65mbit, because that`s a limitation of the 20Mhz channel, and it will also not help for all that have 5Ghz routers.

kkay
Beginner

[SOLVED - FINALLY!!!] I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!! Don't be intimidated by all this writing, it is just to help people understand.

Quick Description of My Problem:

• I have the Intel AC3160 internet adapter and i have been having connection issues with it ever since i bought my new laptop. I had tried all fixes on the internet and everything that intel's support sites have told me, but it was to no avail. At home, my internet adapter would drop the signal randomly or every 10 minutes or so of light internet use. When I would click on the Wi-Fi bars in the bottom right corner of the screen it would usually say "no connections available" just after my laptop dropped the wifi signal that i was connected to. So then i would have to disable and reenable the AC3160 internet adapter driver or restart my whole computer in order for the adapter to find any wifi signal at all. I did notice that my adapter would give me this problem very often on my home WIFI network, but would usually work fine on my university's wifi or at the local coffee shops. I finally found this fix after a year of screwing with settings and technology, but I am relieved to say i have found a relatively simple fix (hopefully this works for you all as well)!

Here is my computer build (incase you are curious, or just a stalker)

Windows 8, 64-bit

Processor: intel i7-4510U

RAM: 8GB, with AMD Radeon R9 M275 - 2GB dedicated graphics

And this semi-poop internet adapter - Intel AC3160 internet adapter

Here is the 2 step fix.

Step 1: Change some settings

• Settings for this adapter's driver is located at: (Control panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > Network adapters > Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC3160> right click this and hit properties > click the "advanced" tab and this is where your driver settings are located
  • My internet adapter settings on the AC3160 driver:

802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz - - - - - - - - - -[AUTO] > (My router only has a 2.4GHz Channel)

802.11n Channel Width for 5.2GHz - - - - - - - - - -[AUTO]

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [1]

Ad Hoc Qos Mode - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [WMM Disabled]

ARP Hoc offload for WoWLAN - - - - - - - - - - - -[Disabled]

Bluetooth(R) AMP - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Disabled] > Disabled because i don't use Bluetooth devices w/ laptop (these devices may interfere w/ wifi signal)

Fat Channel Intolerant - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Disabled]

GTK rekeying for WoWLAN - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Enabled]

HT Mode - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [VHT Mode]

Mixed Mode Protection - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [CTS-to-self-Enabled]

NS Offload for WoWLAN - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Disabled]

Prefered band - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [No reference] > You can change this to help get rid of interference, but you might be safer leaving it like this

Roaming Agressiveness - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [2. Medium-low] > Or you can try changing this down to [1. Lowest] to help prevent disconnecting from wifi

Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect - - - - - - - - - - - - [Disabled]

Transmit Power - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [5. Highest] > THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!! Put it to highest!

U-APSD support - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Disabled]

Wake on Magic Packet - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Enable] this is the default >(this is up to you)

Wake on Pattern Match - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Enable] this is default setting > once again, this one's up to you

Wireless Mode - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [6. 802.11a/b/g] > (this is most likely the best option for this one

• So these driver settings above are what i have currently, however, you can play around with these settings and see what works. ALSO, my driver version is 17.0.5.8 (Date: 6/18/2014). There is a newer version of the driver available but i found that the new version was even worse connection than the old one, at least to me. If you already updated to the new driver and things looked worse, you can roll back the driver easily under driver settings.

STEP 2: What was missing from all other help pages on the internet:

After changing all the settings above, I was still getting signal dropouts. It was less frequent than before but nonetheless still annoying as all hell. It turns out, it wasn't just the AC3160 Adapter's fault, your modem or router is part of the problem!!!! But no worries, this is a simple fix.

If you live in an apartment (or area with homes close enough together where there are probably a lot of wifi signals bouncing around) you probably have this problem: When there are many modems/routers sending out a wifi signal on the same wifi channel (aka frequency) some internet adapters get very confused and drop the signal. The Intel AC3160 is one of these adapters...

• Here's what to do:
  1. Find out what channel (frequency) your modem is broadcasting on. (mine was on channel 11 by default) You will need some sort of small, software to do this I used Nirsoft's WifiInfo View and it worked great. (don't worry its free and can probably fit on your flashdrive)
  2. Find out how many routers/modems in your area are broadcasting on that same channel (there were about 14 other modems on this cannel, that was obviously an issue)
  3. Pick a channel with a lower number of signals broadcasting on it. (I chose channel 7 because there was only 1 other modem broadcasting on it)
  4. A DETAILED VERSION OF THIS can be found on this great how to: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/change-your-wi-fi-router-channel-to-optimize-your-wireless-signal/ Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signal
  5. You are good to go! But if you are still having issues or you connection is slow, keep repeat these steps and try another channel (trial and error). (Example: if channel 7 was giving me slow internet speed on my laptop, I would have picked another cannel with the fewest number of signals on it and tried that one)

Granted Intel's AC3160 should work without you having to change a router setting, so as a customer I am too disappointed at Intel.

But since this is real life and technology is evil and stupid at times, you may just have to change a router setting. After doing this fix, I have not experienced a signal drop since (I am very happy)!!!!! I really hope this helped the rest of you. Happy Halloween!

-The Kittens.

Disclaimer: I do not guarantee that this fix will ...

BOCon1
Beginner

Well, still an issue. Brand new Inspiron 5558. Max "g" level wireless speed. There is no speed above a/b/g in the advanced properties. And sure enough, no matter what driver or setting update I attempt as a computer professional, never come off the max 54mbps - at least it is stable though. It is not interference, multiple other devices have no problem getting "n" speeds. At this point EXTREMELY disappointed in Dell for dumping cheap networking equipment on an otherwise decent machine. Well, I believe it is going back because don't see any solutions in the forums

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello bocman314,

The Advanced Settings for "Wireless mode" found in device manager only show the options: a/b/g. Wireless N and AC features are configured in other settings.

For details, you can check the document http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What are the Advanced Wi-Fi Adapter Settings?

There are few settings you can try for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 to work better with 802.11n, specially in the 2.4 GHz band.

- Apply the configuration from the advisory: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

- If the issue persists, do the following changes to improve connectivity with 802.11n 2.4 GHz

1. 802.11n channel width for band 2.4: 20 MHz only

2. HT mode: HT mode (HT Mode supports 802.11n compatibility)

3. U-APSD support: Disabled
0 Kudos
JRodg1
Beginner

I have had difficulties since the Windows 10 November 1511 update with my Dual band wireless AC 3160 adapter suddenly disabling, having the error of "no drivers available" even though windows says "the most recent driver is already installed". I have the driver from November 2015. I have called HP and Microsoft with no help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and only restarting the computer helps briefly. I cannot get any work done! Please help!!!

0 Kudos
BOCon1
Beginner

Tried all things. The only resolution was to buy an AC compatible router. Got $200 name brand but still only get 300-400 speeds tops, most often stable around 300. Expected a bit more, say up to 600-700, which is still then not close to theoretical, so still quite disappointed in Intel/Dell. Willing to bet could get more with add on card, but keeps adding cost to otherwise ok laptop. Not just Dell I know, but this thing about cheaping out on network component because many consumers don't pay attention, if true, is infuriating since this component is key and not easily upgradeable, if at all (except external of course). Son needs her laptop so guess not going back at this point but so would love to send it back

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello bocman314,

The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 supports a single antenna and single data stream (1x1), the max speed for this adapter is 433 Mbps (802.11ac):

http://ark.intel.com/products/75442/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160 Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 Specifications

0 Kudos
JRodg1
Beginner

Dear Jonathan

Can you please look at my post above? I just had my Wifi card replaced my HP and the same issue is persisting even with the new card and most recent driver updates: General tab under the properties says "no driver is installed for this device" yet under the driver tab it says the drivers are up to date. The adapter is grey-ed out under the adapters page of internet properties and Please help me! This happened after the November Windows 10 1511 update. I look forward to your reply.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Jodyar,

Intel does not support integration which is when the original wireless adapter is replaces by another one. For more information on this matter please access this link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html?wapkw=regulatory+information+regarding+hardware+installation Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade for... Our recommendation is to contact HP* and check with them if this wireless adapter is fully compatible with the type of system you have. HP*, for this specific matter, is the only one who can tell you which wireless adapter is fully compatible. Check with them about customized drivers for the current adapter.

On our best effort to assist you with this issue we recommend the following:

Download and save the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25513/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 File Name: Wireless_18.21.0_e164.exe

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

4. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
JRodg1
Beginner

I had HP replace the adaptor with the exact same make and model as my motherboard was built for this.

0 Kudos
JRodg1
Beginner

Please note my prior comment. The Dual band wireless AC 3160 was replaced by the exact same make and model by an HP technician yet this problem is persistent. Therefore your statement is not applicable to my situation. I have already been to the intel website and downloaded this driver without correction of the problem. Please advise. I look forward to hearing from you (in desperation) as Microsoft and HP have both failed me.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Jodyar,

We understand your frustration but, in this particuar case that the adapter is HP's, our recommendation is to engage HP* since the adapter has been customized to fit the type of system you have.

In order to help you with this since you have mentioned that the issue started after Windows®10 update build 1511 we have found on Microsoft* Support Page something that might help you resolve the issue. Please access this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/update-1511-of-windows-10-wifi-issue/99236c1d-04a3-4c13-bddb-9a5bafb95993?auth=1 Update 1511 of windows 10 wifi issue - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos
ACust3
Beginner

Hello Jonathan,

In this post, the link provided for, "Intel Wifi products - what are the advanced wifi adapter settings" takes me to the general support page and not to a specific article that details all the possible adapter settings available in the Advanced tab. I've checked numerous places to find details on what the Advanced settings are and how they affect the adapter but with no luck. Can you or someone pleeeeeaaase direct me to Intel's documentation on the card and the corresponding Advanced settings and how they affect the card. I understand the PC mfg may have made alterations to that information, but I need a "ground zero" reference to start with and since Intel is the card mfg, I'd like to start there. Can you help? Thanks.

0 Kudos
ACust3
Beginner

Jonathan,

Sorry, one other item. I'm wanting to make sure my HP laptop with the AC3160 wireless card works with my Wireless-AC router IN AC MODE. Your comment in this post, "Wireless N and AC features are configured in other settings". Can you tell me where those "other settings are"? I'd really like to get the AC speeds on this laptop. Thanks.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello anintelcustomer,

Our support website is being redesigned, for this reason some documents have been modified, and some others have been moved to a different location. Here are the new links to the equivalent of the documents you requested:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html?wapkw=intel+wi-fi+advanced+settings Advanced Wi-Fi Adapter Settings for Network and I/O

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html?wapkw=intel+wi-fi+recommended+settings 802.11n Connectivity Recommended Settings for Wireless

There are 2 main settings that are relevant for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 when used in 802.11ac vs 802.11n:

HT Mode:

Set to VHT mode when used in 802.11ac networks

Set to HT mode when used in 802.11n networks.

U-APSD support:

Set to Enabled when used with newer Access points.

Set to Disabled if you see sporadic disconnections (normally with outdated 802.11ac routers or 802.11n networks).
0 Kudos
PGaar
Beginner

Hello Everybody

Just wanted to share my experience with several Lenovo G50-30 Windows 8.1 laptops with Intel AC 3160 wireless cards. The problem I had was sudden dropouts from wifi, and in device manager I could see that there was something wrong with wireless card, because of the yellow exclamation. I tried to do everything that was posted on the internet to try to fix this issue, but I finally got it to work when I upgrading to Windows 10. Then I tried a brand new Lenovo G50-30 with Windows 8.1, where the same problem showed right after first setup, and with all the windows updates. Then I did the upgrade to Windows 10, and the problem was solved.

JYana1
Beginner

That is great to hear, PoliG, but my experience, with a Lenovo Z51 AND Windows 10 is that this is ultimately a problem in the root design of the AC 3160. I had no problems in the Philippines (my current residence of record), or in Dubai (where my wife works), but now in the Asheville, N. C. area (visting my brother) the dropped connection dilemma is ongoing and persistent, and that is after having tried ALL of the preceding recommendations and suggestions by jonathan_intel and others. I am glad to see that one or more of the "work-arounds" has been successful for you!

0 Kudos