Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7654 Discussions

Is the Intel AX201 6 da WWAN or can it make phone calls on laptop/pc?

PainIsAMaster
Beginner

Hi, I have an HP EliteBook 830 G8 laptop running Linux Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS and per the specs page from HP, it has for Wireless:
Intel® AX201 Wi-Fi 6 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, vPro® MU-MIMO and Miracast support.

I recently broke my phone and wanted to know if I can still use my laptop to make phone calls/send text messages with this hardware - Can anyone inform me if this is possible?

Also, typing "Cellular" in the search menu found in Ubuntu's Settings yields an option called "Mobile Network", where it seems you can configure cellular/mobile network. Mine says "No WWAN Adapter Found", but I'm not sure if that's accurate/bug because this computer originally had Windows 11 and I installed Linux myself, and also a quick Google search returned results of people having WWAN on Linux but it not detecting it.

If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AllStars
Novice

Regarding your HP EliteBook 830 G8 with Intel® AX201 Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth® 5 combo, it's ok to note that while this hardware supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionalities, it does not inherently support cellular connectivity for making phone calls or sending text messages like a mobile phone.

The "Mobile Network" option you found in Ubuntu's Settings typically pertains to WWAN (Wireless Wide Area Network) adapters, which are separate hardware components required for cellular connectivity. Your laptop indicating "No WWAN Adapter Found" suggests that it lacks the necessary hardware for cellular capabilities.

Although some laptops do come with optional WWAN adapters that support SIM cards for cellular data, they are not standard in all models. Given that your laptop originally ran Windows 11 and now uses Linux Ubuntu, it's possible that any WWAN capabilities may not be fully supported or recognized under Linux.

For making phone calls and sending text messages, you would typically rely on VoIP (Voice over IP) applications or services that use your Wi-Fi connection, such as Skype, Zoom, or other messaging apps.

If cellular functionality is crucial for your needs, you might consider external USB cellular modems or hotspots that connect to your laptop, though these would be separate devices.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Williams

0 Kudos