Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

KB3161608 + Bluetooth

idata
Employee

I need to install KB3161608 as it contains a Windows Update fix - currently I am not able to use Windows Update as it maxes out my CPU.

Unfortunately, as is well documented on these forums, KB3161608 breaks Intel Bluetooth.

Can we expect a fix for the Bluetooth issue to allow KB3161608 to be installed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to inform that the new version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7*, that fixes the compatibility issue with the Microsoft KB 3161608/3172605 is already available and can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26191 Here.

- Note that you have to remove these Windows updates and any existing Bluetooth* drivers before installing this new driver.

- This release only applies to the current generation of wireless adapters:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Additional details, including the instructions to install it can be found in the following link:

A solution for additional adapters will come a few weeks later.

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

41 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you for the update, we are glad to know the issue was resolved in your PC after installing the new driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hitokage,

We expect the IT Administrator packages for Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® to be update in the future as well, however, we do not have an ETA for it.

At this time, the fix is only available through the standard driver package.
0 Kudos
MHart8
Beginner

hitokage,

I too was looking for the IT Administrator packaged version to get this fix out to our org asap. However, I discovered that, if the prior driver releases are any indicator, the files in the IT admin .zip packages are exactly the same files that get extracted to your %TEMP% directory during install of the standard package (I compared the file checksums).

So I made my own "IT Administrator packages" by starting the install from the standard package, stopping as soon as the wizard comes up, navigating to my %TEMP% directory (type %TEMP% in the explorer address bar, or browse to C:\users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp) and locating a random name folder with a .tmp extension with a current timestamp that has Setup.exe, Intel Bluetooth.msi and a couple of folders in it. Copy all those files/folders somewhere else, cancel the install wizard and there you go. Repeat for x86 or x64 if needed.

Not sure why it takes Intel so long to .zip up and post a link if they are indeed the same files...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for this information mhartstein. We are looking into it, and we expect the fix to be available in the IT admin package soon.

0 Kudos
CMoyn
Beginner

Hi Intel just wondering if you'll be including the Centrino Wireless 6230 in the list of upcoming adapters for this fix?

I've had to remove and hide the windows update in the meantime. At least it's brought my bluetooth back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We would like to inform that the new release of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7* is already available for legacy adapters, this prevents the issue with the Windows* updates mentioned in this thread.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26208/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-7-64-bit-JP https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26208/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-7-64-bit-JP-

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26207/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-7-32-bit-JP https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26207/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-7-32-bit-JP-

This new driver supports the following adapters:

Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235

- Note that you have to remove these Windows updates (KB 3161608/3172605) and any existing Bluetooth* drivers before installing this new driver.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
LLong6
Beginner

hallo,

I am trying to use Bluetooth hearphones Jabra sport+ on my laptop Samsung series 7 NP700Z3C-S02IT after a complete recovery of original system win 7 pro.

. I recovered original system using recovery tool,

. installed the intel patch BT_19.00.1629_64_Win7, system info showed drivers of BT from Intel, Bluetooth device was working, and I could pair and use hearphones

. installed all windows updates

. Bluetooth not working any more

. uninstalled update KB3172605 (while KB3161608 was not present in list of updates installed)

. Bluetooth drivers cannot be uninstalled from program list ( I see option "change" giving error "problem with window installer. I mpssible to run a necessary DLL..."

. drivers mentioned in devices section are generic drivers, not showing drivers from Intel

What can I do? Is there any other update to be uninstalled so that I can uninstall Bluetooth patch and then reinstall it again?

thanks

Ludigno

news...

I managed to uninstall patch BT_19 using Intel installer instead of doing it from program list. Then I downloaded patch BT_17 using intel driver update utility 2.6 and... headset connected and working!

Now my last question: does it give any shortcoming not to install Windows update KB3172605 ? Does it affect other update installations?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to know the workarounds helped you resolve this issue, and that your Bluetooth* devices are working fine now.

The new Bluetooth* software provided in previous posts is compatible with the latest Windows* 7 updates, we do not expect any issues if you use the new drivers and the updates installed.

If you choose not to apply the Windows* updates, it will not cause any harm to the computer; however, you will not have the enhancements provided with https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605 KB3172605.
0 Kudos
CMoyn
Beginner

Thank you Intel for your reply but that link for legacy adapters only refers to the wireless 6235 and 2235 whereas my adapter is the 6230 with drivers that are dated before this issue had arisen.

Do the drivers listed for the 6235 also work for the 6230? If not will newer drivers be released. ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

The new driver will not work for the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230.

It is not possible to provide a fix for older adapters like the 6230.
0 Kudos
GNero
Beginner

How do i read the statement "It is not possible to provide a fix for older adapters like the 6230."?

Does this mean Intel will not provide a solution for older/legacy chipsets as (in my case) the centrino n-1030?

i hope not, because this will leave me alone with either a windows-update which renders the system for hours useless while searching updates or a non-functional bluetooth stack. please help the intel-buying customers, even if they done it 5 years ago.

0 Kudos
CMoyn
Beginner

Said I'd update this as it worked for me.

I'm the owner of a Dell XPS 15 L502X with Windows 7 and the Intel Centrino Advanced N 6230. So I had this problem; and although Intel are after telling me their new drivers won't work for legacy adapters I found that by uninstalling the current drivers followed by the KB update; followed by a reinstall of the factory OEM drivers, the latest Intel v19 drivers, and then the KB update caused my bluetooth to work perfectly.

I noticed that my wireless still works from the older v15 drivers but the Bluetooth seems to have been updated as even its position in the context menus has changed. Hopefully this unofficial fix might help people.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

As mentioned previously, it is not possible to provide a fix for Legacy (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006507.html Discontinued) Adapters, such as the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 and Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230.

If you require Bluetooth* functionality, you can remove the updates and prevent Windows* from applying them; or you can choose to proceed with the Windows* updates knowing that Bluetooth* will not work.
0 Kudos
SGors2
Beginner

Intel (or Microsoft) is going to have to do something about the drivers for the discontinued Bluetooth adapters. Starting in October, Microsoft will be releasing Windows7/8/8.1 and Windows Server 2008 R2/2012/2012R2 updates only as roll-ups, meaning if they include the patch that breaks Bluetooth, you can't avoid it and receive other updates. See these two TechNet articles https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/ Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2016/08/30/a-bit-about-the-windows-servicing-model/ A Bit About the Windows Servicing Model.

0 Kudos
GNero
Beginner

Well, this is my opinion too. I'm afraid that without support from intel "lagacy" customers will lack bluetooth-support in future when microsoft decides to release a "fix" in that "quality" as this kb3161608 was to us unlucky few ....

intel ..dont forget your customers! "not possible" is no solution.

0 Kudos
GNero
Beginner

It is ms-patchday and the laptop runs now hours-long with hight CPU-usage and is nearly not usable. Should that be the future every month from now on? or install ms-patch and loose the bluetooth-functionality?

will there be a solution for "legacy" chipsets from intel to help customers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We understand your concern and would like to remind you that discontinued wireless adapters are based on older technology; unfortunately, it is not possible to provide updates for products that have reached End of Life and End of Interactive Support.

You can also check with Microsoft and the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support about Windows* updates and how they affect your PC.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
GNero
Beginner

Hello Jonathan,

thank you for answering me. i really appreciate tha, because my computers manufacturer doesnt answer to my postings in their own fujitsu-forum. nor did ms, but i didnt expect an answer or solution from there.

to point that out ... i'm not concerned of sth. i see that (in this case my own laptop) is nearly useless in daily life while searching ms-updates for now 1 1/2 days at constant high cpu-usage. and i have to make a decision, because this is no way to work with.

may be i try following rolling ms-updates to see if they fix sth (or break another, besides bluetooth?) - but do i trust this? naa ...

according to this link http://ark.intel.com/compare/59481,75439,75440,59474,59470,59471,59472,66890 ARK | Compare Intel® Products this N 1030 wireless product was launched 2011. this is (only) 5 years from now - looking at the number of machines with that issue maybe intel will decide NOT to act like the other companies. i hope that intel does help customers of their products. because intel made the products and so i think intel can provide support, if intel wants to :-)

greetings from germany and kind regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

As we mentioned, it is not possible to provide a fix for older adapters.

Bluetooth* will function if you remove the updates and prevent Windows* from applying them; or, you can proceed with the Windows* updates knowing that Bluetooth* will not work.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

The comments and fixes in this thread apply for Intel® Wireless Adapters with Bluetooth not functioning in Windows* 7.

This may happen after installation of Microsoft* hotfixes: KB3133977, KB3161608, KB3172605, KB3179573.

Please review the recommendations and actions in this thread to resolve this situation.

If you require further assistance, please http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Intel Support.

Or you may create a new thread in the /community/tech/wireless/content Wireless Community.

This thread is being locked and will remain available for reference.
0 Kudos