Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Need a replacement network card

KSnow1
Beginner

I own a Lenovo M90Z system. It currently has an Intel Centrino N-1000 wireless card. which has stopped working. I have tried seemingly every Windows fix. According to this link it is compatible with Windows 10 but I have read other places it is not. Can anyone confirm if it is compatible with Windows 10?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029835/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

I did remove the card and put it back in.

What would be a good replacement for this card? I would prefer a card without Bluetooth.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What adapters are supported on Windows 10 is documented here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005602/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html.

According to this information, Intel does not support this driver on Windows 10. Only the compatibility driver provided by Microsoft will support this adapter. Upgrading Windows 10 or attempting to use a driver package from Intel could result in this adapter not working at all.

As for that adapter upgrades this laptop will support, because of the various White and Black Lists implemented by the laptop manufacturers, you will have to ask them (in your case Lenovo) what adapters they allow to be used.

Sorry there isn't a better answer,

...S

0 Kudos
KSnow1
Beginner

" Only the compatibility driver provided by Microsoft will support this adapter. "

Is there any where I can download the compatibility driver?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No. These drivers are built into Windows and will be installed automatically - and updated automatically if you have a wired network connection. I presume that your problems started when Windows 10 was recently updated. Many issues have been seen where drivers are being screwed up by/during these updates. I suggest that you manually uninstall the existing wireless driver and then reboot. Presuming you have a wired network connection, it should then reinstall the driver from scratch and this should, in theory, recover wireless network access. If it does not, you will need to talk to Lenovo and find out what wireless cards can be used as a replacement.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos