Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

ProSet Administrator Tool - Creating WiFi Profile

idata
Employee

I have a machine with a Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN device. I have installed the Administrator tools and need to create a profile for a non-broadcasting SSID so that any domain user who logs on to the system can access this particular SSID using their Active Directory Username and Password. During the setup of the WiFi profile, I do not have the option under User Credentials to "Use Windows Logon" for MS-CHAP-V2 Authentication. I need the profile to pick the credentials for whoever happens to be logged on to the computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sachin_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Brian, When creating a profile through IT Administrator tool, "Use Windows logon" option is available for Pre-logon/Common profiles only.

I assume you are trying to create a Persistent profile and therefore this option is not available.

Thanks

Sachin

Intel Corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Sachin is correct.

Question: How can I keep a persistant connection all the time so we can push out Windows updates, anti-virus updates, etc... ?

0 Kudos
Sachin_A_Intel
Employee

Hi wlanguy,

Can you provide more info about your environment i.e.

EAP type being used, credentials type --- saved, winlogon or Prompt, OS, PROset version being used

Thanks

Sachin

Intel Corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sachin,

We are using PEAP, active directory, Microsoft IAS and using certificates. The PROset is 13.3.0.0, the latest, and using Pre-logon to use windows logon. We are using also WPA2/AES and 802.1.x using Aruba wireless infrastructure.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Sachin_A_Intel
Employee

Hi wlanguy,

I assume the client environment is Windows XP as the suggestion which I am providing below will apply to XP platform only.

You can explore the option of using "Use Secure password" by creating a 'Persistent + Prelogon" profile by checking both the check-boxes on the first pag of profile creation. The secured password uses machine credentials and is not tied to any specific user. This will allow your machine to be always on the network even if any user is not logged on.

to make this work, you will have to make sure that the computer has "Remote Dial-In Access" permission in the Active directory.

Thanks

Sachin

Intel Corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sachin,

We have that already configured that way, but the pre-logon dialog box does not appear due to the persistant settings also. When it is setup that way, it makes troubleshooting a longer process. Using the Pre-logon option only, it shows me the 802.1x authentication with the access point, then the authentication with the IAS, then assigns the DHCP IP address, then finds the domain controller. With the persistant opton also, it will not show us these steps.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Sachin_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

With the profile set as Preogon+Persistent, you will not see any UI as the wireless connection will be made in the background by Proset when machine boots up. Similarly, when any logged-on user logs off, Proset will attempt to make a wireless connection in the background but will not show up any UI. You can verify if the connectivity is there by trying to ping the machine from another box on the network.

Thanks

Sachin

Intel Corp

0 Kudos