Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Problem with WiGig undocking

VSvet
Beginner

Each time I shut down computer connected to WiGig the computer freezes and won't shut down. When I tried to disconnect WiGig in Action center with disabling it in Airplane mode, the computer freezed, too and I lost any control. Only solution is each time hard reset (long press of hardware shut down button). Any help, please? I'm using ThinkPad WiGig with ThinkPad T460.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello vsvetsky,

We understand that every time you attempt to disconnect from your WiGig Docking Station, including system shut down, your computer freezes.

It's important to make sure that you're using the latest wireless drivers, as well as dock manager from your computer manufacturer:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

- https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t460/downloads Drivers & Software for Lenovo T460 Laptop (ThinkPad)*

If the issue continues with the latest software, please provide us the following:

1. Please share a report created using the Intel® System Support Utility.

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your wireless network, choose to scan "everything."

3. Choose next again and save this file to an accessible location.

2. The Advanced Diagnostics report from the Wireless Dock Manager.

1. Open the Intel Wireless Dock Manager.

2. Click the Help Menu (?), and select "About Intel Wireless Dock Manager".

3. Select "Advanced Diagnostics."

4. Select the option "Export info to file". Give the file a name and save. By default the file is saved on your desktop.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
VSvet
Beginner

Hi.

Thank you for contacting me. You understood it correctly. When I disconnect WiGig via Windows action centre, the laptop immediately freezes – built in keyboard, touchpad are unresponsive – only hard shut down is possible. Similar situation occurs when I shut down the computer while connected to WiGig. Shut down process starts, but when the screen of laptop became black, the LED light in hardware shut down button stays on and sometimes you can hear cooling of laptop, too. Again, only hard shut down is solution.

All drivers in my computer are up to date. I have newer versions in my computer than are listed in list you sent me link to. Issue still occurs.

Please find attached requested files.

Viktor

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello vsvetsky,

Thank you for these reports. We can see that you already have the latest software and drivers installed.

Let's try a clean installation of all your wireless drivers and WiGig software to discard any possible driver corruption issues:

1. Download the latest drivers from your computer manufacturer support page (link in our previous reply). These are the best downloads to use as they're system specific and unlike our generic versions, they take into account customizations made by your computer manufacturer.

2. Right click on your start menu icon, select Apps and Features. Uninstall all instances of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel® Wireless Dock Manager. When asked, choose not to discard your current settings. Do not restart yet.

3. Right click on your start menu icon, select Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters category, right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and choose to uninstall.

4. Press the Windows* Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type cleanmgr and select OK.

5. Make sure Temporary Files is selected, all else may be unchecked. Select OK.

6. Install both of the packages downloaded in step one.

7. Restart your computer, configure your dock and test.

If the issue continues, we can try the same process but using our generic drivers instead: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309 WiFi | https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26860 WiGig

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
VSvet
Beginner

Hi.

I did suggested procedure with both types of drivers (computer manufacturer's and generic). After both instalations the issue persists. When suting down computer connected to WiGig, the computer freezes and only hard shut down works. What now, please? Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cthylla,

You can try a Factory Reset. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you will need to engage your computer manufacturer for hardware support.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006193/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html How to Factory Reset WiGig Docking Station

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello vsvetsky,

Was the computer manufacturer able to help with the issue?

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
VSvet
Beginner

Hi.

No they weren't. They changed planar and in the service with other HDD and OS version everything goes fine. When they put back my SSD and I tried it at home, issue occurs again - conclusion was problem in OS.

So I contacted Microsoft live chat support, and they solved it partially on 3 attempts:

1. cleaned some temporary files in computer, changed in advanced system setings to "to get best performance", set older version of Intel HD Graphics 520 driver and changed power plan to high performance - this solved for few hours problem with disconnecting WiGig via Action centre but not shut down problem.

2. they repeated same procedure as in 1st attempt and extra to it, they disabled quick startup of system - this solved definitely disconnecting issue but not the shut down issue.

3. For 2 and half hours they were running many diagnostic tests, troubleshooters, fixes and deleted all possible temporary files on places I never know that they are in the Windows - both issues solved - OS was corrupted somehow.

Only I must have disabled the quick startup now. Hope the OS is not corrupted anymore.

V.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello vsvetsky,

Thanks for the update, we're glad to hear that the issue was resolved.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos