Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
Announcements
All support for Intel NUC 7 - 13 systems has transitioned to ASUS. Read latest update.
7304 Discussions

Semaphore Timeout

MCope3
Beginner

We recently switched our internet service provider to Time Warner cable. They installed an Arris TG1672 cable modem/wireless router combination. I now have hangs, network disconnects, and page-load errors while using my Lenovo W500 ThinkPad laptop (Windows 7) with the Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN wireless adapter.

Here is my test case: I net use drive C of my desktop computer (Windows XP, wired LAN connection) to the laptop. Both laptop and desktop are on my local home subnet. Then from the laptop command prompt, I enter dir /s on the mapped drive. There are thousands of files on this drive.

The dir /s command will not finish. cmd.exe sometimes reports "semaphore timeout" and then returns result code 121 (ERROR_SEM_TIMEOUT).

I have run Windows 7 Update to its fullest. I installed Intel drivers which brought me to version 14.3.21. I have connected to the router via 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. No matter what I try, the dir /s command will pause/hang then eventually return to the DOS prompt without a complete dir /s listing.

I switched off the internal wireless adapter. Now I use a USB wireless network adapter which passes the dir /s test.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Catboat,

You can do a clean installation of the wireless driver for Intel® WiFi Link 5300. Downloadhttp://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23491/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows* 7, version 16.7.0. Save the file to your computer.

If you have Windows 7* 32-bit:

Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers): Wireless_16.7.0_s32.exe

If you have Windows 7 64-bit:

Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers): Wireless_16.7.0_s64.exe

Go to Control Panel - Programs and Features and Uninstall the "Intel® PROSet Wireless/Software".

Go to Control Panel - Device Manager - Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® WiFi Link 5300 and select uninstall, make sure to mark the option "Delete the driver software for this device"

Install Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers 16.7.0 you had downloaded before.

Once the driver is updated, make sure to apply the settings from the following document:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

MCope3
Beginner

Thank you for the quick response.

As suggested, I uninstalled Intel PROSet, deconfigured the device, and deleted the driver files. I downloaded Wireless_16.7.0_s32.exe and installed it.

This installed driver 14.3.2.1, which is the same level driver I upgraded to last Saturday. Then and now, I rather expected the driver to be level 16-something, but in both cases, the installation got me to version 14.3.2.1.

I made adapter changes according to the page called "What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?" I changed the "802.11n channel width for band 2.4" to "Auto," and the rest were already on the recommended settings. I could make no changes to my router; its GUI doesn't support changing the options mentioned on the page.

With these changes, the Intel Wifi Link 5300 ran the dir /s test to completion in 39.53 minutes with inexplicable pauses in the output.

The USB wifi adapter finished the test in 8.88 minutes.

0 Kudos