I recently purchased a new AC-7260 for my ASUS Q301LA. I installed the latest driver, but the device manager gives code 10: device cannot start. I tried other versions of the drivers, but there is no positive result. I am currently on windows 10.
I installed ubuntu on my pc, and the AC-7260 works really well on the ubuntu. Is there a solution for the code 10 error on Windows 10?
We understand your replaced the original wireless adapter for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, before we go any further, it is important that you know that Intel does not support integration which is when the original adapter is replaced by other one that was not meant for the type of system your have. But, we will do whatever is within our reach to help you resolve this issue. Please check this link for further information on this matter: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html?wa... Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade
According to Microsoft*, a code 10 error is due to that the device failed to start and there could be many reasons as to this code appears. Here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/code-10-for-windows-10/c... Code 10 for windows 10 - Microsoft Community some users seemed t have found a solution.
One possible reason may be that the adapter is not compatible with your system and we recommend to contact the computer manufacturer in order to obtain additional assistance. Here is how you can find their contact information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites
Alternatively, we recommend that you try a clean install of the drivers. Here is how you can do it.
1. Download and savehttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25833/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo... Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 according to your OS architecture (32 or 64 Bit)
2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".
3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".
4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.
5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.
6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.
7. Check for antivirus and firewalls configuration as they may impact as well.