Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7649 Discussions

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Bluetooth not connecting

Kookie
Beginner

I installed an Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz into an Asus FX505GT laptop. The Bluetooth won't connect to devices and I can't remove any Bluetooth devices in Windows 10 - 64b. It says, "Remove Failed". I tried doing a clean re-install of the Bluetooth driver. No change. It will recognize devices but the devices fail to connect. I can connect the devices to other things like headphones to my phone but fail to connect to the laptop through the Wi-Fi 6 AX200. Not much information on the internet I can find.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Kookie

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

We would like to know if you had the same issue before with the previous wireless card?

Did you check motherboard/wireless card compatibility before the integration?

Do you get any problems with the WiFi?

If the manufacturer confirmed compatibility, did you test their drivers?

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile requesting some reports that may contain sensitive information. 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Kookie
Beginner
No I had no issues on Bluetooth with the old adapter. I was having frequent disconnects on WiFi with the old adapter.

No I did not check for compatability with the motherboard. Not sure where that information would be.

No, no issues with WiFi on the AX200. Works good. Although I can not test WiFi 6 since I don't yet have a WiFi 6 router.

Test the drivers? What is the procedure for testing drivers? Just removed the old drivers and installed the new drivers. I would like to know how to test drivers.

The Bluetooth completely failed. It disappeared and the computer wouldn't even recognize that there was Bluetooth on the adapter. The adapter card was still returnable to Amazon, so I returned it and got a new one. After installing the new adapter Bluetooth returned and is working. WiFi and Bluetooth are now working. I think the adapter was not working properly. Replacing it seems to have solved my problem.

Do you think I still may have problems since I didn't check hardware compatability? I figured an adapter is an adapter, lol. For the same price the AX200 was a little bit of an upgrade. I don't see any issues in device manager or BIOS. Where would I look for issues?

Intel Customer Support closed the case stating I may have BOIS and hardware incompatibility. They didn't even suggest swapping the card with a new one. Gee, I'm glad I thought of that, lol.
0 Kudos
53616d
Beginner

Hi Kookie,

What did the trick for me was resetting my motherboard.

I had outdated drivers for the AX200, after installing the most recent ones, bluetooth failed both using windows 10 and Linux Mint. After blaming windows (inside my mind, not a windows fan) I figured that resetting the system might work.

So I unplugged the computer, and pushed the power button for at least 10 seconds. After this small procedure I booted my system an all was working.

It is to be noted that it was a desktop.

Hope it might help.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Kookie
Beginner
Hmm, you know, I have to disconnect the battery of the laptop for the reinstall. Maybe, possibly, thats what happened.

When I originally installed it, I was only concerned with WiFi. I didn't try the Bluetooth until a week later. What I found strange was that the Bluetooth part of the adapter completely disappeared. Thats what prompted me to replace it. I'm very glad that simply swapping out adapters fixed it. Fortunately it didn't cost me anything other than the inconvenience of shipping back the old one which wasn't too difficult with Amazon. Wish I could know whether or not the adapter did indeed fail because I left a review stating it did. If just disconnecting the power did the trick. Why wouldn't intel customer support suggest that rather than assuming it was incompatible?
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Kookie

Thank you for the updates provided.

As each country may have different regulatory requirements, before you install/change the Intel® Wireless Adapter in a system, you must contact the system manufacturer to determine if the Intel® Wireless Adapters you plan to install is approved for use in your system and country. You are required to follow the manufacturer's post-approval requirements.

If you have already performed the integration, it is also important to understand that it may not work due to hardware or software compatibility issues or dependencies.

Intel is a supplier of laptop components and does not manufacture or sell complete laptop systems. Your system manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or hardware packaging they provide.

The only retail wireless adapters currently supported by Intel are the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth® for Desktop, and the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit. These retail products are intended to be installed in Desktop PC with the antennas bundled in the box. They are not intended for wireless adapter upgrade in laptop PC.

For more information you can check our articles:

We are glad to hear that your product is working properly now, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Arty
Beginner

I was suffering exact same symptoms after replacing the old Killer Wifi in Dell XPS15 with AX200.

In my case I eventually figured out the old BT device was still registered with drivers but HIDDEN in Device Manager. 

Opened Device Manager: View: Hidden devices 

Uninstalled with Delete driver files option for Atheros (I think it was) - in any case any other device that relates to the old adapter card/drivers.  This also immediately removed all previously registered BT devices.

Rebooted & then was able to connect to my BT devices

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Intel Bluetooth and Wireless packages contain multiple drivers (and firmware) for the various modules that are supported. In some cases, the same driver supports multiple modules, but this shouldn't be your assumption. When installing the driver packages, only the necessary driver for the current module will be installed. This driver may not support the new module. The same goes for any firmware that is downloaded to the modules. Bottom line - and as a general rule - this process should be used:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and Wireless packages (available here and here).
  2.  Uninstall the Bluetooth and Wireless packages that are currently installed.
  3. Power off the system.
  4. Remove the old module and install the new module.
  5. Power on the system and boot into Windows.
  6. Install the latest Bluetooth and Wireless packages that you downloaded earlier.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Arty
Beginner

Yes & it is probably worth pointing out one key to the above steps is - uninstall the OLD "before" installing the new hardware

• Uninstall the Bluetooth and Wireless packages that are currently installed.
  • Power off the system.
  • Remove the old module and install the new module.

If you do these steps the other way around - ie. install the new card before uninstalling the software &/or drivers - then you can end up with the Device & drivers "hidden" in the Device Manager.  As said if you "know" this it is not necessarily a big deal because all you need to do is SHOW hidden devices in Device Manager & uninstall the old device drivers.  That is what I experienced - as soon as I showed HIDDEN devices & uninstalled the old Drivers - then the BT (new drivers) started working correctly.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Correct. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I presume that folks are proficient enough to perform the steps in the order provided (order *always* matters). 

...S

0 Kudos