Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7553 Discussions

Wifi 6E AX211 160MHz not available on Ubuntu 20.04

heejun
Beginner

HI, there.

I am using dual booting with windows 11 and ubuntu 20.04 on Samsung Galaxy book 3 pro. lin

I have problem that the wifi does not seem to be connected.

Below processes were done.

1) Secure boot / Fast start option is off.

2) downloading linux-firmware and cp to /lib/firmware

3) installed backport

sudo dpkg -i backport-iwlwifi-dkms_9858-0ubuntu3.3_all.deb

These do not help.

Please someone help out..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @heejun  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue: 

1. Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 the pre-installed wi-fi card in your system or is it an integration (upgrade/ not the original card)? 
  2. Was it working fine before? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
heejun
Beginner
Hello, Jocelyn.

I think it is pre-installed wifi-card in my computer, and it is perfectly working fine with the Windows 11 os.

However, I installed Ubuntu 20.04 for dual-booting and ubuntu cannot recognize my wifi card at all. It is not even in the setting menu.
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @heejun  

Thank you for your reply and confirmation on this. 

1. Did you make sure that your Laptop supports this OS with your Laptop manufacturer? 
  2. Make sure that your wireless adapter is connected properly running # lspci command in the terminal and verifying if the wireless adapter is recognized. 
  3. Make sure that the module is installed properly running # modinfo iwlwifi command. 
  4. Type # lsmod | grep iwlwifi to make sure the driver is loaded. 
  5. Type # dmesg | grep iwlwifi. If the result is empty, the driver wasn’t initialized. 
  6. Type the # dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!” command and the result is not empty, that means that you don't have a suitable FW, you need to check here for supported FW or here for latest versions. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

heejun
Beginner
Hello, these are answers to your questions.

1) How can I make sure that my labtop supports ubuntu 20.04? My labtop is Samsung galaxybook3 pro (NT960XFT-AD72G)

2-6) I think my labtop does not recognize the wireless adaptor since I cannot get any information with your suggested commands.

I tried to install newest FW from the websites you provided, but it does not change anything.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello heejun

Thank you for reply.

Please keep in mind that the Intel wireless firmware is a part of Linux kernel. To obtain the latest Intel wireless firmware, install the latest (and stable) version of Linux kernel.

Regarding the compatibility between your laptop and the operating system, we highly recommend contacting the system manufacturer.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @heejun  

I hope you are doing great. 

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. 

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos