Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7463 Discussions

Wifi Disconnects Randomly (I don’t think it’s my Router)

aryaara
Beginner
Quick disclaimer: I’m not a very tech-versed person. I know a few things about computers and I’m still trying to learn and I recently took up gaming as a hobby and it has been heaven and hell.

I have an Inspiron 14 2-in-1 computer and that’s what I’ve been using to run games like GTA, Valorant, Hitman, LoL, and more these past few years. I don’t have the best internet but it gives me a good average 18-24 ping on my servers. However recently it has been getting so much worse.

Recently I’ve been having wifi cut out and lags for reasons I seem to never understand. During games, it would randomly cut out and disconnect for about 30 seconds to a minute (or two) and would do this multiple times in a span of 3-4 30 minute games. It’s getting very frustrating during games because it’s always during the most crucial moments it cuts out and sometimes even when I’m on calls with my friends. Yesterday, I updated my WiFi driver thinking it would fix the problem but instead today, it just got so much worse. I cut out like 4 times in one game for about 2 minutes each, and it would stutter a couple of times.

At first I believed it was an issue with my router but then I noticed that whenever it would happen, the whole WiFi connector bar area (on my taskbar) would refuse to load. Whenever I would click on the WiFi option in the task bar, it would just show it “loading” and nothing would show up for a couple of minutes. Then the WiFi would pop up and still take a few seconds to connect back.

If there’s any more information I would provide to help you understand this issue more. I would be very eager to provide it. Below are some specifications that might help as well:

1. The Network Adapter is an: Intel(R) WiFi 6 AX201 160mHZ (Yesterday, the update I got was Version 22.200.2.1).

2. I updated the computer to a Windows 11 (I’m not sure if this might help but I’ve heard that the current drivers sometimes don’t do much for Windows 11 and I’ve also heard that Windows 11 is quite bad for gaming but I’m not sure if that it true - I will try to revert this week but if anyone wouldn’t recommend I would like to know please).

I apologize if this is a bit untidy, I’m writing this in a fit of rage and I would really need as much help as possible.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello aryaara,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201, I will be glad to help.

Please provide the following information:

• Is there any error code in Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

As well, please perform a clean installation of the latest wireless drivers 22.200.2 (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html). Make sure to follow the clean installation instructions (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html).

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
aryaara
Beginner

Thank you so much for your response.

1. On the device manager page, I saw no error message as it stated that the device is working properly:

aryaara_0-1681144241585.png 

aryaara_1-1681144299600.png

2. I believe this is the adapter that came with the system because since I got the computer, I haven't gone to change anything manually. I have consistently (kind of) updated the drivers whenever I am notified by the Inter Driver & Support Assistant.

3. When I attempted to install the driver link you posted, I got an error message that said: 

aryaara_2-1681144522847.png

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

In order to investigate further about this, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
aryaara
Beginner

Thanks again for helping out! Attached below is the file.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for the report.

Please try a clean installation of the latest driver provided by Dell 22.170.2.1 (https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-14-5410-2-in-1-laptop/drivers). Make sure to follow the clean installation instructions (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html) and let me know of the outcome.

Also, please apply the recommended settings for 802.11ax (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574.html).

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
aryaara
Beginner

Thank you so much for the tips. I just did everything listed and I will get back to you in a week to show the results!

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

I will be waiting for your update.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to test if the issue persists after the recommended steps.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
aryaara
Beginner

Hello, It recently happened and I took a screenshot of what it looks like when it happens which I described in my previous response. The image is attached below. 

aryaara_0-1682697222205.png

 Thank you.

0 Kudos
aryaara
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your help on this matter. For a few days, the Wi-Fi was stable and didn't disconnect as much. However, recently, it has been causing me the same issues but sometimes even worse.  I just kinda gave up hope yesterday because the Wi-Fi crashed about 5 times in the span of 40 minutes and I kept disconnecting mid-game. I genuinely do not know what is wrong with the driver. Someone recommended resetting the driver from here: 

aryaara_0-1682516267769.png

But whenever it crashes, the Wi-Fi option over there just disappears completely and I am unable to attempt anything. The Wi-Fi area in the taskbar would keep bugging and loading and I would not be able to do anything from there such as troubleshooting and more. And even when I open the setting directly, this option completely disappears: 

aryaara_1-1682516457049.png

I'm at a loss for solutions and any help would greatly be appreciated. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your reply.

I will keep working on this, as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello aryaara,

Please perform the following steps:

Let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos