Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Wireless-AC 7265 issue when connecting

SJaan
Beginner

Dear all,

Dell Latitude E5450 / Windows 10 Enterprise x64 1511 (TH2) with latest updates.

Can anyone point me to some direction when mentioned WIFI card (Wireless-AC 7265) refuses to connect to WIFI networks at first place. Actually it refuses first time. About 60 seconds later it will connect.

Error messages is below:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig/Operational

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig

Date: 6.01.2016 16:48:24

Event ID: 8002

Task Category: AcmConnection

Level: Error

Keywords: (1073741824),(1024),(512)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: laptop-023.COMPANY.XX

Description:

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Interface GUID: {d8ec95f4-c0a4-4c7a-8182-a051beb1520e}

Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile

Profile Name: Standard Private Profile

SSID: Standard Private

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Failure Reason:The driver disconnected while associating.

RSSI: 255

I have tried different drivers:

Windows 10 itself suggest via "update device drivers" 18.20.0.9 - no luck, error persist

Dell suggest 18.11.0.8 - no luck, error persist

Intel latest 18.30.0.9 - no luck, error persist

Windows 10 bundled 17.15.0.5 - error is gone, and everything is working as excpected.

I have tried different AP's on different physical locations - same effect.

I have tried different WIFI configurations - like OPEN networks in other places - same effect.

My main question is what could be wrong with 18 series of drivers? Why the 17 series works and 18 not ?

0 Kudos
40 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Janx4,

Before we go any further could please reset the SSID profile and then add it again and see if the issue still persists?

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

Hi,

I have reinstalled this laptop several times. So basically this profile is new after every reinstall.

I changed even the wifi module inside the laptop and I used even another laptop (same model with same wifi module) - no luck.

What is odd, is that I have third laptop in my company with same Windows version (TH2) and it works with version 18.20.0.9

I'v gone trough this third laptop logs to see if this laptop has same problems and I'v noticed only few similar "The driver disconnected while associating" errors.

So, basically, I'm stuck. I'm out of ideas. I can not point finger to my WIFI AP's because I'v seen this error with another networks and AP brands.

I must get this working, because those laptops are dependent working WIFI at the first place, AD logins, machine GPO's and so on.

What this error even means? Does this RSSI:255 has any relationship with this error?

From my point of view, there should be something different between the drivers, because mentioned 17.15.0.5 seems to be working as excpected.

BTW, I have disabled Bluetooht module from the BIOS - but I'v tested this also with BT enabled, and it makes no difference.

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner
0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Janx4,

We have recently released new drivers for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. Please try them and let us know the results: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25683/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10 - File Name: Wireless_18.32.0_PROSet64_win1

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

No luck. Driver 18.32.0.5

Error are back:

11:50:39

A previously existing Wireless Group Policy was applied to your computer.

Wireless Group Policy Name: Standard Private Policy.

Applied settings:

AutoConfig Enabled: Yes

Show Denied Networks: Yes

Wireless Group Policy Summary

Profiles applied: Standard Private Profile.

Profiles not applied: None

WLAN AutoConfig service started a connection to a wireless network.

Interface GUID: {892ecc1c-8df5-4c7d-b098-592d92a8f5ce}

Wireless network association started.

Local MAC Address: 4C:34:88:66:36:4F

Network SSID: Standard Private

Authentication: WPA2-Enterprise

Encryption: AES

802.1X Enabled: Yes

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Failure Reason:The driver disconnected while associating.

RSSI: 255

And excactly 1 minute later:

11:51:39

WLAN AutoConfig service started a connection to a wireless network.

Wireless network association started.

Authentication: WPA2-Enterprise

Encryption: AES

802.1X Enabled: Yes

Wireless network association succeeded.

Management Frame Protection Enabled: 0x200000000

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

Hi, does not help. Error stays. For now, I have tried different Dell models including the same adapter. Same behaviour. Even the PC mentioned in first post, stopped working - I had to revert the driver also to the version 17.5.

We are using Ruckus R700 AP's which is controlled by ZoneDirector. Does it gives any ideas to anyone? As of today, we are using the latest FW provided by Ruckus.

Intel coexistence with Ruckus? Anything?

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

So, as of today, theres no solution besides using the older version like 17.15.0.5.

Since noone points finger to my AP then I must think that the problem is related to NIC itself.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Janx4,

Please check your private messages.

0 Kudos
AS25
Beginner

Spent hours troubleshooting this with a Asus Zenbook UX305LA. Turned out 18.32.0.5 is the right driver and all I needed to do was uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Not a single dropout since. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner
0 Kudos
AS25
Beginner

Oh. What errors are you getting in event viewer, and what is the model of your laptop?

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

Errors are displayed here in discussion.

Model: Dell Latitude E5450

0 Kudos
AS25
Beginner

Sorry mate, totally missed the logs. The other thing I did as a band-aid just to get the device online was disabling "HT Mode" in the advanced adapter settings (and to 802.11b only). This dropped the connection to 54Mbps, however it was stable. Not ideal and I wasn't satisfied, but it got me online, if that's what you need to do to roll these out to your clients I'm assuming.

I was fuming when this happened to me after spending $1300 on a new laptop, so I feel your pain. Tinker with the adapter settings, it HAS to be something in there if you said that it works fine with the 17 series drivers. Monitor your connection speed as you do this and it will give a rough indication as to what speed increase is causing the adapter to drop out.

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

So,

Still nothing? I'v tried to use driver version 18.40.0.9 from Microsoft Update Catalog, but still nothing. The same problem persist.

Intel - what's going on? Also, what about my support case? No answers at all.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Janx4,

We have received orientation from our engineering depart to inform you to proceed with a clean installation of the new driver version 18.40.0. Please proceed as instructed below and let us know the outcome at your earlier convenience.

1. Download and save https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25833/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 File name: Wireless_18.40.0_PROSet64_Win10.exe

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
AHelp
Beginner

Im having the exact same issue as Janx4 and have updated to the latest driver version 18.40.0.9 and has not made any difference.

Please resolve the issue with your drivers.
0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

Dear Aleki,

As You see, I'v tried already this 18.40.0.9 version. The only difference was that, that I was not installing the whole ProSet bundle.

Since our WIFI is managed by Windows we are not deploying ProSet. We are deployng drivers only and this should/must work.

As for now, I'm still stuck in 17 series of drivers.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Janx4,

Can you confirm if you did a clean installatio of the 18.40.0 version following the steps informed in a previous post?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

ACC,

Our recommendation to Janx4 was to proceed with a clean installation. We were wondering if you could the same and then let us know.

0 Kudos