Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Wireless driver spamming Windows Event Log

GLuci
Novice

This is for a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 chip on a Lenovo P50. The driver for the wireless chip keeps posting this to the Application Event Log every 9-11 seconds:

Source: Netwtw06

Event ID: 7023

Level: Information

Content: 7077 - Intel proprietary

It's cluttering my event log and making it difficult to find anything useful.

I have the latest version of the driver (20.30.1).

Is there any way to turn off this event logging? Or can it be removed in the next version?

59 Replies
mcbsys
Novice

As of today 5/29/2018, the latest driver version available through Windows update is 20.30.0.7, which is spamming the System event log. Rolling back to 20.10.2.2 solves the problem.

0 Kudos
entilza
New Contributor I

This was fixed in 20.40.0 and now back in 20.50.0 any ETA on a fix?

0 Kudos
RAnde13
Beginner

Rolling back to 20.40.0.4 has worked for me.

I have the 8265 on a Dell Lattitude 7480

entilza
New Contributor I

My NUC updated to Windows 1803 and now I cannot roll back to 20.40.0.4 I can try to install it manually but yet more work for me...

Please Intel correct this.

idata
Employee

Hello Everyone,

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 20.60.0 has been released. Please install the new driver package and let us know if the events keep showing up with the same frequency:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27849/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 version 20.60.0

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
entilza
New Contributor I

I think this did it, thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to know the issue was resolved with the latest driver update.

If you face this type of issue, please update the driver as first troubleshooting step.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JMitc10
Beginner

I would love to say that this is fixed, but downloading the 20.60 drivers and attempting to install gives me the message "Installation Blocked. The software package cannot be installed on your system." 20.50, of course, is installed just fine.

I can install just the 20.60 drivers, but ProSet constantly installs itself at version 20.50 so then there is a mismatch. No matter how many times I uninstall it, after next reboot something installs it again (and I have driver installation turned off in Windows Update).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jefferai,

Once you download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27849/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=72252 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 version 20.60.0, make sure you run the installer as administrator, and that you are using the right version on your OS (32 or 64 bit). Then follow the steps for a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers, it is very important to remove the previous driver first.

Let us know if the clean installation helps.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RaveHeart
Novice

I'm running driver version 20.60.0.7 (clean installed) of the wireless driver on a Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 that came with a Lenovo IdeaCentre 700-25ISH. I'm having the problem described here, just with event 7021. Every so often it flips out completely and spams up my system logs. I've tried several different driver iterations and they've done this same thing. Is there anything that can be done to stop the telemetry from spamming?

RaveHeart
Novice

Since installing 20.70, the telemetry has been behaving itself for the most part, with the only real spam occurrence being that it goes nuts if I'm disconnected without turning the wifi off. I can live with that.

0 Kudos
DD6
Novice

Here is the way to reduce the telemetry spam by 95% in the Event Viewer:

1) Disable Wake options:

Right click on the Intel Wireless Connection or the connection you are using under Network Connections in Control Panel, and then select Properties. Click Configure. Click the Advanced tab:

- Select Wake on Magic Packet. Choose Disabled from the Value menu.

- Select Wake on Pattern Match. Choose Disabled from the Value menu.

2) Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP:

Right click on the Intel Wireless Connection or the connection you are using under Network Connections in Control Panel, and then select Properties. Select the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click the Properties button. Click the Advanced button under the General tab. Click the WINS tab. Click the Disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button. Click Ok.

3) Disable NetBIOS in Services:

Right click on Start button. Click Computer Management. Click Services under Services and Application. Double click TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper. Choose Startup type Disabled. Click Ok.

Enjoy less spam!

RAnde13
Beginner

Hasn't worked for me.

0 Kudos
DD6
Novice

9 months later this is still an issue with your driver constantly spamming the event log with telemetry netwtw08. Don't you use your own software to see this?

DD6
Novice

This has NOT been fixed in ANY of the driver versions until now. The only workaround is to completely disable event logging if you don't want that spam. Fix your stuff and test your drivers before releasing. Stop releasing buggy stuff!!!

HKlum
Valued Contributor I

Yepp. Nothing fixed. Log spam still exists. This also is bad because of permanent SSD write access.

0 Kudos
jerhewet
Beginner

To disable all of this constant event log spam, shell out to the DOS prompt and paste in the following:

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\Netwtw06" /v TypesSupported /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0 /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\Netwtw10" /v TypesSupported /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0 /f

This disables all of the event logging from your Intel wireless device.

Whiney Buttwipes: "But it's a bad idea to disable all the logging!!!"

Me: "You shoulda thought about that BEFORE you started spamming the event log with useless crap!"

0 Kudos
sax_man424
Beginner

Any updates to this issue as it looks to still be occurring with the latest version of the drivers?

0 Kudos