Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

ad-hoc mode of Intel's wireless adapters

CMa6
Beginner

Hi community,

I have some questions about the ad-hoc mode of Intel's wireless adapters.

I want to create an ad-hoc wireless network, which contains four devices equipped with wireless adapters. My questions are:

• if the four devices (device A, B, C and D) are in the ad-hoc mode, can two communication links be set up simultaneously (e.g., simultaneous A->B and C->D)?
  • Dose the wireless adapters have routing functionality? If yes, which routing algorithm is used?

Wish someone in the community can answer these questions.

Br,

Chuan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello okicekimi,

We understand you have some questions about Ad-Hoc Networks support in Intel® Wireless Adapters. Here are some relevant facts about this topic:

- Ad-hoc networks (also known as Soft AP) allow two or more Wi-Fi clients to connect to each other directly without a wireless access point. Ad-hoc implements a software-based, wireless access point or hotspot-like function. So you can actually connect multiple hosts to the same Ad-hoc network.

- Intel adapters support Ad-Hoc, however, we do not provide any software or tools to create Ad-Hoc networks, therefore, you should contact the provider of the software for details about their limitations and functionality. For example, you can engage Microsoft* Support, or the Linux communities if you plan to use tools built-in those Operating Systems.

- Please keep in mind that Intel® wireless adapters are designed to be used as WiFi clients and for basic Ad Hoc usage (Local Area Network). They are not designed to work like hotspots or routers. Intel adapters support Ad-Hoc networks only in the 2.4 GHz band due to regulatory limitations.

- Ad-Hoc support in current versions of Windows* is limited. Furthermore, the driver model in Windows® 10 no longer supports this feature.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions about this.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello okicekimi,

Please let us know if the information provided was helpful, or in case you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos