Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

intel wifi 6 ax201 160mhz this device cannot start. (code 10)

tknanayakkara
Beginner

intel wifi 6 ax201 160mhz this device cannot start. (code 10) , this came with the windows 10 and 11 in both OS. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would try a clean install of the drivers. Here is the process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation). (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
msaxbury
Beginner

you still have not answered how to manually reboot and keep internet access disabled.

Whenever anyone uninstalls the wifi device and reboots, device manager automatically re-installs it from system software, even when selecting discard settings. So how do successfully complete step 5?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Internet access is possible via wired ethernet cable (which you unplug) or via wireless. For wireless, you must disable it so it cannot reattach and run Windows Update (which screws everything back up again). Best is to physically disable it; some laptops have a button to physically disable wireless; others have disable capability through BIOS. Worst case,  just power off your wireless router for the duration of the process. 

You keep running the algorithm, rebooting as necessary, sometimes a number of times, until you uninstall all the way back, through the (perhaps many) updates installed, to the original entry and this time you finally delete it completely from the system.

I cannot say that I have never seen or heard of my algorithm failing (I certainly have). It is definitely possible to get things so screwed up that it cannot work. If you hit, say, 10 reboots, I would temporarily call it quits for the algorithm. I would then be be (a) hacking the registry and file system to remove the driver files (and then restarting the algorithm from where I left off) or (b) if that didn't work, wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows (yea, I know, not a pleasant thought; I keep all of my data files on a secondary drive/partition (that I keep backed up), but it's true that you would have to reinstall and set up all application/gaming packages - and hence why I would be hacking the registry and file system).

...S

0 Kudos