Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7556 Discussions

wireless connection

Phil130562
Beginner

Help....please. I recently did a regular update (windows 11) and now my laptop only picks-up a wireless connection when I'm next to the router (it used to work perfectly all over the house....and 1 other laptop and 2 phones still work perfectly) so it's just this laptop....why ? 

Yes, I think I tried everything........reset, uninstall, installs, disable, reboot, updates......

Why is it so difficult to find then download a better wireless internet adapter ?

Am I not downloading the complete 'package' somehow ?

Every time I try, the laptop keeps going back to the original one, after I've restarted....Grrr. This is the current model:

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter

What worries me is that it doesn't even say 'wireless' in it's title.....but maybe it is.

Sorry, I'm a novice but hopefully one of you nice clever folks out there can help me.

I'm a single Dad and can't send the laptop off somewhere for an expensive repair.

Thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I presume that this is an older laptop. The drivers on the Realtek site for this adapter are only for Windows 7, 8.1 & 10 - which means either that an applicable driver is built into (i.e., inbox with) Windows 11 or that Windows 11 doesn't support this adapter. 

That's my first thought. My second thought is that this sounds suspiciously like the antenna wire has either been broken or has disconnected from the wireless module. The latter is more common, but the former does happen in older laptops from all of the lid openings and closings that have occurred (the antenna is built into the lid along with the display and the wire has to be brought down out of the lid and into the board circuitry).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Phil130562
Beginner

Sir, thank you very much for your reply. 

I appreciate what you say about an antenna.....but it still works (wireless) but only when I'm very close to the router.

As regards windows 11 not supporting my current driver.......how it work when I'm sat close to the router but not elsewhere in the house ?

Maybe it's just not strong enough !

Is there a way I can delete totally the old network adapter and upload a new one from somewhere ?

Thanks again,

Phil.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Any wireless card will work without an antenna when you put is right next to the router. The true test is if you move it 10 feet away and the connection goes to crap.

As I said, there doesn't appear to be any Windows 11 driver that you can download. If it isn't running with the Windows 10 driver, it isn't going to run.

Just a thought: you know, you have a M.2 Type E connector in this laptop. You could try using a more-modern card - like Intel's AX200 (for WiFi 6 and Wireless-AX) or AX210 (for WiFi 6e and Wireless-AX). 

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Phil130562,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your wireless adapter.

If I may jump into the conversation, and based on the information you provided, you mentioned that the wireless card is the "Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter", since this is a Non-Intel Product. I would recommend you contacting with your System Manufacturer for further support.

You should know that Intel does not comment on or provide recommendations regarding Third-Party Products or Services.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos