Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16618 Discussions

Error: SignalTap and incremental compilation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I have a problem with SignalTap. When I want to compile, I get this error message 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error: Current license file does not support incremental compilation 

--- Quote End ---  

Where can I disable incremental compilation for SignalTap? In some tutorials I saw a column where incremental compilation could be disabled. I have Quartus II 8.0 Web Edition and can't see something similar.... 

thanks for help
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The incremental compilation has nothing to do with signal tap, it's a compiler setting in quartus. You find it under assignments -> device -> compilation process settings -> incremental compilation 

//Ola
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Alex, 

The Quartus II Web Edition doesn't support the full set of features (and devices) that the subscription version supports. Incremental compilation is one of the features that isn't supported by the Web Edition. 

- Mark
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

@Bango 

since I have the Web Edition it isn't available. You say it has nothing to do with signal tap, but since I wanted to use it, I get the error message. And in some tutorials I saw a check button in the instance manager of signalTap, where incremental compilation could be disabled. But I think the tutorials are for v7.2. 

@Mark 

That is clear for me. I don't need incremental compilation. But for any reason SignalTap enabled it and quartus didn't compile... 

alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I meant was that incremental compilation is a feature for making the compilation quicker not something for signal tap, so why not just disable incremental compilation in quartus, under assignments -> device -> compilation process settings -> incremental compilation, while you debug 

//Ola
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SignalTap can tap two different types of signals, post-fitting and pre-shynthesis. Tapping post-fitting signals requires incremental compilation, which is not available in the Web edition. 

Make sure the nodes you add to your STP file are pre-synthesis signals. You use the Node Finder filter to select "Signal Tap II: pre-synthesis".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@Bango 

I can't do that, because I have the Web edition. text and checkboxes are grey. 

@vjAlter 

Sounds interesting. I added signals from some pins, so they must be pre-synthesis. But I will check this on monday :rolleyes:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

in the meantime I had several other error messages (internal error...) on the same topic. Altera helped me to solve the problem. I had a bidirectional port, which can't be captured by SignalTap when incremental compilation is not disabled. As I can't disable or enable incremental compilation in my Web Edition, I have to add the statement >>set_global_assignment -name INCREMENTAL_COMPILATION OFF<< in the .QSF file. Now it works :) 

Greetings, 

alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

in the meantime I had several other error messages (internal error...) on the same topic. Altera helped me to solve the problem. I had a bidirectional port, which can't be captured by SignalTap when incremental compilation is not disabled. As I can't disable or enable incremental compilation in my Web Edition, I have to add the statement >>set_global_assignment -name INCREMENTAL_COMPILATION OFF<< in the .QSF file. Now it works :) 

--- Quote End ---  

You probably made something unusual that exposes a bug in Quartus. 

I can tap bidirectional pins on the Web Edition without any need to add that assignment.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thats curious. But for me it works now.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using 8.0 SP1 web edition and I ran into this bug today after specifying a new Signal Tap file. This bug definitely has something to do with Signal Tap as it did not appear until after I added the new Signal Tap file today. I have been successfully using Signal Tap with this project for some time. 

I removed the offending Signal Tap file from the project and disabled Signal Tap, but Quartus still refused to compile. Since you cannot access the incremental compilation settings in the web edition, setting incremental_compilation to off in the QSF file was the only way I could get Quartus working again. 

I've read somewhere that the web edition of Quartus does allow incremental compilation of Signal Tap changes, so it must be getting confused where to allow it and where not to. If this is true, then I suspect that I may want to comment the incremental_compilation line in the QSF once Quartus is well again, otherwise all minor Signal Tap changes will require a complete and lengthy recompile.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

SignalTap can tap two different types of signals, post-fitting and pre-shynthesis. Tapping post-fitting signals requires incremental compilation, which is not available in the Web edition. 

Make sure the nodes you add to your STP file are pre-synthesis signals. You use the Node Finder filter to select "Signal Tap II: pre-synthesis". 

--- Quote End ---  

It´s correct. But, is writen in datashet 14. Design Debugging Using the 

SignalTap II Embedded Logic Analyzer that "The Quartus II software does not limit the number of signals available for monitoring in the SignalTap II window waveform display."  

But when I choose another signal with right button of mouse over the signal or trying to add node(that doesn´t appear in the node list)  

The option "Add Node to Signal Tap II Logic Analyzer" with the right button mouser of the signal appears disable for some signals. Why ?? 

We can´t use incremental compilation with web edition and because of that we can´t use post synthesis.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The same bug happens also to me using Altera Web edition 9.1 

A simple way to solve it is to digit in the tcl console 

set_global_assignment -name INCREMENTAL_COMPILATION OFF
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem. Modifying the .qsf file did not work, but entering "set_global_assignment -name INCREMENTAL_COMPILATION OFF" in the tcl console resolved the problem. I am using Quartus II version 9.0.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same experience... 

What I did was accidentally selected some post-fitting signals during my signal tap setup. I immediately realized this because those post-fitting signals were blue..I removed them and hope that it would still compile because I haven't save my design or anything..However, the compiler failed because of this "incremental compilation is not supported for web license"...Anyway...The GUI showed that incremental compilation is disabled and gray out, so I can't change anything....Then I opened up the .qsf file and found the following statement 

# start DESIGN_PARTITION(Top) 

# --------------------------- 

# Incremental Compilation Assignments 

# =================================== 

set_instance_assignment -name PARTITION_HIERARCHY root_partition -to | -section_id Top 

set_global_assignment -name PARTITION_NETLIST_TYPE POST_FIT -section_id Top 

set_global_assignment -name PARTITION_COLOR 16764057 -section_id Top 

set_global_assignment -name PARTITION_FITTER_PRESERVATION_LEVEL PLACEMENT -section_id Top 

# end DESIGN_PARTITION(Top) 

# ------------------------- 

By removing these statements, compiler is ever happy again 

Is this a bug or Altera is trying to trick people to buy the full license?
0 Kudos