Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

invalid sof? please help me...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

i am close to desperation because i am completely blocked with my work. 

I made a simple quartus design, a bdf including a 1s10 processor, compiled it and it reported no errors, programmed it on the board via programmer. 

Now i go to niosIDE to program this system, but when i launch my program (which was correctly built) it says: 

"There are no Nios II CPUs with debug modules available which match the values 

specified. Please check that your PLD is correctly configured, downloading a 

new SOF file if necessary." 

What's wrong? I asked at altera mysupport, all they said me is to not click cancel on the openCorePlus message window when i am downloading the program to the board since i have a time_limited.sof as the result of the compilation, but i don't do that. 

:( :( :(
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the chip resetting? If you have unused pins driving ground when they're not supposed to, you can trigger a over-current condition resetting your board. By default Quartus reserves all of your unused pins as "output driving ground"

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

where can i check the status of unused pins?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Assignment -> Settings, under the device page, click device and Pin Options. Select the appropriate option under the "Unused Pins" tab.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unused pins are displayed with all other pins in fitter report. You could prevent from the said problem by setting unused pin default to input with weak-pullup or hold in device settings / "unused pins".  

I would generally check, if the FPGA is configured with the intended design, e. g. by driving a test LED. I think, it could rather be an issue with Nios II configuration, but I can't help in this regard cause I'm not using Nios.
0 Kudos