Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Programming EPCS via teh NIOSII SDK Shell

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used the NIOSII SDK Shell to program the EPCS on our custom board. However I got the following error message  

"There is a problem with your JTAG chain you have chosen, or something else on the computer is not working correctly. Please check the power and connections to the target system or use 'jtagconfig' for further diagnosis. " 

I ran the jtagconfig and it reported the following information  

1) ByteBlasterII [LPT1] 

Unable to lock chain (Hardware not attached) 

2) USB-Blaster [USB-0] 

Unable to read device chain (JTAG chain brocken) 

Note I had already disconnected the ByteBlasterII [LPT1] before trying to program the Flash. As you can see from my shell file below I was using the USB Blaster for my flash programming. Also before I ran the Shell program I checked that I could program the EPCS with the USB cable connection via quartus' programmer. Note when I removed the USB cable all the LEDs on my board lit up and remained lit (I had forgotten to invert the output from my LED_PIO - but at least this indicates to me that possibly the the FBGA configuration data is getting to the EPCS chip!). Note the computer is not frozen !  

Below is the shell program that I used :- # ! /bin/sh# # This file was automatically generated by the Nios II IDE Flash Programmer.# # It will be overwritten when the flash programmer options change.#  

cd C:/ShmuelWork/M4K1553PxIII/Px3logic_EPCS_Controller_II/count_binary_7/Debug 

# Creating .flash file for the FPGA configuration 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/sof2flash --epcs --input=C:/ShmuelWork/M4K1553PxIII/Px3logic_EPCS_Controller_II/M4K1553PxIII.sof --output=M4K1553PxIII.flash 

# Programming flash with the FPGA configuration 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --cable="Usb-blaster [USB-0]" --base=0x00008800 M4K1553PxIII.flash 

# Creating .flash file for the project 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/elf2flash --epcs --after=M4K1553PxIII.flash --input=count_binary_7.elf --output=epcs_controller.flash --boot=$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_epcs.srec 

# Programming flash with the project 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --cable="Usb-blaster [USB-0]" --base=0x00008800 epcs_controller.flash 

Does anyone have any suggestion what could be the cause ?
0 Kudos
0 Replies