Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20721 Discussions

JTAG BST Cyclone III

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Can anyone help understand this condition for nconfig "The IEEE Std 1149.1 BST circuitry for these Altera devices are 

dedicated and enabled upon device power-up. You can use this IEEE 

Std. 1149.1 BST circuitry both before and after device programming 

or configuration. However, the nCONFIG pin on the FPGA families 

must be held low when you perform JTAG boundary-scan testing 

before configuration." 

In our design nconfig is pulled-up, we use FPP mode for the configuration. Is there another way to do the BST without configuring the FPGA and keeping nconfig pulled high? 

Please help :confused: 

Thanks 

MJ
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The same condition can be found in any other Altera FPGA manual. I'm not sure, what it means in detail, particularly which BST functions are possibly unavailable when not pulling N_CONGIG low. However, why don't you simply consider to load an empty configuration at begin of the boundary scan test via JTAG? Furthermore, the boundary scan test behaviour is partly modified by the actual I/O configuration. You may want to set a particularly configuration during test anyway.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We did actually run into this issue with Cyclone II. I can tell you that the user manual is indeed correct. Fortunately we new about this ahead of time and connected the nConfig pin to our BST header so we could drive it low. 

The other alternative we had considered is the suggestion FvM is giving. Load a useles/harmless FPGA image into the device, then run your BST. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos