Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Slow rising inputs w/ MAX II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a design where I have some really slow rising inputs. I was starting to see false triggers because the signals are also very noisy. I decided to debounce the input with a simple filter. Is there a better way? I don't want to use any external components.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just noticed that MAX II has Schmitt triggers. This will solve my problem. This feature will allow me to to stay within the input rise time and fall time spec and will filter the noise causing my inputs to glitch.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a similar problem with multiple outputs from pushbuttons on external circuitry connected to an Altera DE2 board. How do you go about adding the schmitt trigger in Quartus so I get a clean signal? This is for my senior design project and would greatly appreciate your input. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The DE2 board uses a Cyclone II. Cyclone II does not have Schmitt triggers. What you need is a classic debounce circuit to filter out the ringing that occurs when a slow moving mechanical switch generates a digital input. 

One easy way to do this is to cascade several flip-flops together and 'AND' all the q side values. You will need a slow clcok or lots of regsiters and a wide 'AND' function. If you divide your clcok you can use many fewer flip-flops. When you divide your clcok be sure to use a clock enable on the debouncing flops so that the whole design will remain synchronous. I will attach a simple example. You may need to experiment a bit to get the right frequency for your clcok enable. In general you will want something in the low KHz range since the human hand pushing a button can not move that fast. 

In my example I only have 3 registers, you might want to use more. THe basic idea is that the AND gate will only assert when the switch has reached the steady state position.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it.

0 Kudos