oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.

Recent OneAPI Update 2024.1 Issues

Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

I always look forward to installing a new update of IFX in the hope that it will allow me to start using it for my development work and finally leave IFORT behind. Although some headway has been made since the previous update from last year, a desirable outcome is not yet possible.

Firstly the installation, while quicker than before which is good, but throws up some uncertainty with warning messages that don't make much sense to me.

Just Installed the latest update on both Windows 10 & 11 and I have a few issues to report. I've installed the OneAPIBase & OneAPIToolkit which seemed to work with no problem.

However when I open VS (see attachment for VS settings)  I get a warning message.

Stephen_Sutcliffe_0-1712230625642.png

which directs me to the following file:

C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\17.0_53ecf6c1\ActivityLog.xml (attached) which contains reports of several errors.

Is it safe to ignore these warnings? What is the cause?

On the laptop (Windows 11) the dialog boxes, where you select the x64 IFX / IFORT x64 compilers (Tools-Options-Compilers Menu), are not properly displayed as shown below.

Stephen_Sutcliffe_1-1712230625664.png

These dialog boxes don’t have any means to resize so their contents remain undecipherable.

They do however look OK on my desktop which is still operating under Windows 10.

If this is caused by VS version, is there a way to stop it updating as it seems to do so without me having any chance to stop it?

When I restart VS, as suggested, that message is still getting displayed and the display is still the same

Issues relating specifically to IFX vs IFORT are:

I have still to successfully compile and link my full project solutions without compromises (which contains 36 projects) in IFX so will have to keep on using IFORT until these get resolved. I am only using the x64 compilers.

1) The Release build won't compile several files unless the Optimisation (/Od) is fully disabled in some (though not all of the files). None of the other optimisation options work. I have previously reported these ICEs (with example reproducer) after trying previous issue back in December to Premier Support, so sadly it appears that this issue has still to be properly resolved. I did use the suggested workaround (to disable the optimisation) so some progress of sorts. The change in this setting could well have a detrimental affect the speed of the program compared to IFORT. After changing to /Od the program does actually link and run in Release mode from within VS.

As Intel should be already aware of such issues, it would be useful to know if they have made any progress on a fix, or at least identified what is causing the ICE. Maybe my coding is to blame but I don’t see any obvious pattern and I don’t use any multi-core stuff.

2) The Debug compilation build is issuing messages saying that the /check:uninit is not currently available on Windows. Is there an alternative to this compiler option in IFX or will it be made available in a later release or has it been deprecated?

3) During the linking phase of the Debug configuration I get seemingly random messages which quote odd individual files within libraries like:

fatal error LNK1220: 'resolving static reference symbol' requires '/WOWA64' specification

Consequently the Debug configuration won't successfully complete.

Any feedback from Intel would be much appreciated? You seem to be getting there at last but still a bit to go.

The sooner I can successfully migrate to IFX the better as I won't have to waste time and space having to maintain the IFORT version as a backup.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ron_Green

I'm moving this thread over to our Installation Forum.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

To resolve the 'warning' issue - please open the installer.exe located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer. Then click Modify inside HPC Toolkit Box and select Repair to run.

(for issues 1-3 - please submit reports with sample VS solutions that illustrate the issues on the Online Service Center if you have Priority support or Fortran Forum if you have Community support)

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

On the desktop (Windows 11) where you select the x64 IFX / IFORT x64 compilers (Tools-Options-Compilers Menu), are properly displayed as shown below.Capture20.PNG

It doesn't look like a Fortran IDE Windows 10 vs. 11 issue. I think you should first report this laptop display issue to Microsoft Visual Studio. 

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Stephen, we have sent you a private message. Kindly check your community inbox.

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Stephen, unfortunately, we were unable to hear back from you. 

If you have any further queries, please post a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®. 

0 Kudos