Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20723 Discussions

Blocks in the EPCS flash memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

In my project iam writing to the EPCS through Nios2.. 

In the EPCS data sheet it is specified that the organisation of the flash  

is in sectors and pages and each page is of 256 bytes ,thats clear 

but in the software development handbook of nios 2 it is mentioned that the API write to the Flash in block level..now i am in a utter state of confusion 

what does the block,sector and page signify to.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Block is equivalent to sector.  

Don't worry about page size. It's not likely relevant to what you are doing. Just make note that you have to erase an entire block (sector) at a time. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@jakobjones 

Thank you jake.. 

now its clear, could i get ur contact number so that i can discuss with u any serious problems which are occurring in my project..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@jakobjones 

I put a service request to Altera my support ,there he has mentioned like, the EPCS memory can be written in page wise... 

does that mean every time the entire page will be erased before written in to that rather than the sector(block) being erased..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

These devices have data sheets. I wonder how there can be any doubt on write and erase behaviour. It's also useful to understand the memory organisation - in used terms. Actually a page is a sub-entity of a sector in EPCS. The available erase modes are bulk erase and sector erase, any programming has to reflect this fact.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@FvM  

Thanks i referred the data sheet it is given clear in that.
0 Kudos