Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Noobe SDR SDRAM Question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am using Quartus web edition. I need a verilog Dram controller for a MT48LC32M8A2 SDRAM. This is not for a NOIS based project. Does ALtera provide this as a FREE Megafuction? Where else could I find such code.?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what is the efifo module in the verilog example used for? Looks like quite a bit of code just to control one SDRAM chip? (not that I know much about controlling these chips) :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are two designs. I have been using the older VHDL one, as I mentioned in the discussion. But the SOPC builder component should also work, probably without the Avalon FIFO.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does SOPC builder work for free web edition? Is the IP free or does it create evaluation IP like the megafunctions that can only work while attached to Quartus environment?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SOPC builder itself uses an Opencore evaluation, I think, but this doesn't affect components, e. g. the SDRAM controller.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tried SOPC builder - gives a warning the moment I set the data bits to 8. Also gives error and says that controller must be connected to an Avalon master???

0 Kudos