CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20725 Discussions

Error:Cant access JTAG chain..help!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When i try to program the cpld i get this error  

error: can't access jtag chain 

error: operation failed

I am using a MAX2 CPLD.I would be able to program it a few months ago with no problem but now it suddenly gives me that error.Can anyone help??:confused: 

ps. I am using the usb blaster.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also when i click on Auto detect I get "unable to scan device chain.Cant scan JTAG chain"

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Also when i click on Auto detect I get "unable to scan device chain.Cant scan JTAG chain"[/QUOTE 

Did somebody use the board last months ? Check all power supplies on the board ! It is also possible that your USB-Blaster cable is broken ! Can you replace your USB-Blaster for test ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote Start ---  

Also when i click on Auto detect I get "unable to scan device chain.Cant scan JTAG chain"[/QUOTE 

Did somebody use the board last months ? Check all power supplies on the board ! It is also possible that your USB-Blaster cable is broken ! Can you replace your USB-Blaster for test ? 

Kind regards 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

Its been in storage since it last worked.Do i have to power the CPLD to be able to program it?..I think i remember programming it just with the cpld connected to the computer via the usb cable.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You will need to power the board before you can program it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i powered and grounded the board but still get the same error.Is there a chance the board is broken?..I connected the cpld directly to my computer without using the usb cable so the cable doesnt seem to be the problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a JTAG debug option in Quartus Programmer, it can be used to trace the JTAG signals down to the device pins, checking for any broken connection.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Its working now!I mistakenly connected a 3v source to the 5v pin of the CPLD and when i moved it to its proper 3v pin it worked and i am now able to program it again.I do however remember programming it without connecting any voltage source to it just the usb cable to the computer, so that seems odd.Anyway thanks for all your help!!..im gonna go smoke a fat joint now.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No original Altera or Terasic USB Blaster is sourcing a supply voltage to a device, cause it's designed to support a variable logic supply of 1.8 to 5.0 V. The only explanation is, that you had a user modified exemplar. MAX II, by the way, has a maximum supply and logic input voltage of 3.3 V, there are only some older EPM7xxx MAX devices working with 5V supply.

0 Kudos