Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20737 Discussions

New wiki and the old Nios wiki

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The new wiki seems to contain all the pages from the existing Nios wiki, but has lost the hierarchical index. 

Is this supposed to be an improvement?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do we really need to have the Nios stuff if both wikis? Is the Nios wiki going to dissapear now that the Altera wiki is online or is it staying? In the latter case, I think it will just be confusing if everything is recopied on the Altera wiki, especially if only one of the two is updated/maintained.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i do agree with the above opinion. why not combine the two part in one? i think nioswiki forum may think the individual website prove a more convinient place for engineers to find what they need. but many time i am confused by which one i should pay more attention to?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

nioswiki is on temporary life support, plug will be pulled soon. Nioswiki has been locked to edits, i.e. read only, for several weeks, so there is no chance of updates happening in nioswiki. We had to lock it before taking snapshot and copying the pages to Alterawiki. Nioswiki.com will re-direct to alterawiki Nios section very soon, that is last step in the transition.  

Thanks for your patience while we make some last minute changes before doing the re-direct. 

nioswiki had an artificial hierarchy that was completely manual and not well maintained. It was difficult to find any page through navigation. We have created a new category structure (requiring manual tagging) in Altera Wiki, that covers areas beyond just Nios.  

Clilck on the "categories" link on the left navigation of any page to view the categories for AlteraWiki. 

You can see all Embedded/Nios pages from this top level category: 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/category:embedded_processing 

There are sub-categories for embedded HW, Embedded SW, and design examples.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We tried to integrate Alterawiki into Alteraforum as a single site, but the forum software integration with wiki was limited. We had to have two sites. AlteraWiki uses mediawiki, the same open source wiki software used by wikipedia. Its quite versatile and a well maintained wiki tool that we know won't go end of life =).  

So we have two sites, one for Altera forum thread discussions (Alteraforum), one for revision controlled community articles and designs (AlteraWiki). The wiki provides you a place to share a design or a article with the community on a web page, where content can be updated by anyone. You will already see some amazing material on there like Rysc's 100+ page TimeQuest User Guide document that he wrote. Or the DPS Builder Advanced Blockset Best practice guide, written entirely in wiki text for others to modify and improve.  

Unless you have articles to share or write, you won't be spending much time on AlteraWiki since its not a discussion site, but you may use search to find interesting shared IP, designs, or how-to articles. It is the repository for sharing material, as opposed to answering questions. 

If you have questions and are looking for answers or are looking to provide answers, the alteraforum is still the place to do that.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the update, I didn't know that the Nios wiki was going to dissapear

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The page 'gcc patches' was effectively a subsiduary page to 'cross gcc', and only really makes any sense as such. 

Now they are two separate pages in a big list ....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you move Gcc_patches to Cross_gcc:Gcc_patches?

0 Kudos