Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16616 Discussions

Use an internal clock source ???

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi again, 

I find it amusing that i've moved all my descrete chips into an Altera (Max7000) device, and yet i still need to clock it externally on the master clock pin, sourced from a lazy 555 or a 4040 cmos counter etc etc....ultimately i'd like a single Altera device on my PCB with no extra chips required. 

I wondered if there's a sneaky way to simply create a hex-invertor oscillator within the Altera device itself, with an external Xtal or R/C timing ????? anyone? anyone? 

Someone mentioned to me that i shouldn't try to attempt that with the main clock input pin, but *maybe* any of the 'spare' i/o pins could possibly do this for me? 

Maybe the output of the hex-oscillator would then feed into the master clock pin? 

My application is NOT frequency or time critical...it's simply driving a bunch of large counters for eprom addressing or flashing lights (disco) etc.... 

So, accuracy isn't really that much of a great concern for me.... 

no, i'm not trying to pll-phaselock anything down to the 14th decimal place ;-) 

Thanx in advance, 

Marty.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not recommended as there is no guarantee of the speed of the part and the RC time constant charge time might not make it high enough to sustain oscillations. 

Get a cheap osc. and call it a night. 

Break open an old watch if you have to. 

27 Khz I think?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was afraid of that answer hehehehe. 

ok, ext-oscillator it will be then ;-) 

Thanx, 

Marty.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recently needed a source for a clock and also wished there were a simple oscillator on board to run a crystal or resonator. 

What I found was a Crystal Oscillator Driver from TI, 1GX04, that is very small and inexpensive from their series of single-gate functions. 

Regards, 

rfournier
0 Kudos