Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Serial FlashLoader

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So I've got Quartus 7.1 and have created the Serial FlashLoader module... now what? 

Does anyone have an example of how to instantiate the Serial FlashLoader. Please do not direct me to AN370. I've already read it in it's entirety and it makes no mention of how to actually USE the module once you've created it. I need to know how to instantiate it into a design. Where's the documentation on that? Or at least a design example which shows how to ACTUALLY USE the module (preferably verilog)! 

When I attempt to instantiate the Serial FlashLoader into my design I get the following error: (actually several of the same error - one for each pin) 

Error: Can't place pins assigned to pin location Pin_D1 (IOPAD_X0_Y27_N6) 

Info: Pin sfl:sfl_inst|altserial_flash_loader:altserial_flash_loader_component|asmi_inst~ALTERA_SDO is assigned to pin location Pin_D1 (IOPAD_X0_Y27_N6) 

Info: Pin ~ALTERA_ASDO_DATA1~ is assigned to pin location Pin_D1 (IOPAD_X0_Y27_N6) 

Thanks, 

Rob
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would recommend filing a Service Request on the Altera support site https://mysupport.altera.com/eservice/ when you encounter an issue such as this. The workaround appears to be setting the Configuration Pins to "Use as Regular I/O" and this will get you past the fitter. Some internal settings are conflicting and this will most likely be addressed in a future service pack. 

Make the settings here: Menu Item "Assignments", "Settings", "Device" sections, click on the "Device & Pin Options" Button, Dual-Purpose Pins tab, set all of these pins to "Use as Regular I/O". This will allow the fitter to map the serial loader pins to dclk, ncso, data0, asdo to be the same as the ones connected to the Active Serial configuration device. I have attached an example Verilog implementation of this. This is for Quartus v7.1.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Rob, 

are you sure you need to use the Serial FlashLoader? Are you using a EPCS device as serial configuration device? I also refered to the documentations of Altera and thought I need one to use the EPCS device with JTAG, but then I saw the post "Write the project in EPCS?" in the Nios forum under "General Discussion Forum". Check it out, maybe this is also true in your case?!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What should the mode pins for a Cyclone IVE FPGA be set to (pins M0, M1, M2) when using the Serial FlashLoader with Quartus?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One of the available AS configurations, according to your design requirements.

0 Kudos