Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Simulator assignments

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I try to simulate a design with the QuartusII simulator. Some of the signals are however synthesised away. I connect the signals to output pins and use the "Implement as Output of Logic Cell", "Add to Simulation Output Waveforms" and "Preserve Fan-out Free Register Node". 

Does the signal have to be available at top-level in order to preserve the signal during simulation? 

It is test-signals on lower-level blocks, so I dont want to append the signal to the top-level. 

Hope someone can help. 

Regards, 

Morten
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"Preserve Fan-out Free Register Node" should be all you need (no need to route the signal to the top level) if you are using a device family supported by this assignment. 

From QII 7.2 on-line help: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Preserve Fan-out Free Register Node logic option  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

This option can be set in the Assignment Editor. 

A logic option that specifies that the register should be preserved in the design even when it becomes fan-out free. 

This option is available for supported device (Arria GX, Cyclone II, Cyclone III, HardCopy II, MAX II, Stratix II, and Stratix III) families. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried to put output pins on the lower-level blocks and set the Preserve Fan-out Free Register Node logic option without any luck. I also tried to look in the RTL viewer for the signal and assign the same option, but still the signals are no where to be found in the simulator. 

I can only see them if I set the search option to "All name", but when I run the simulator they keep disappearing. 

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have tried to put output pins on the lower-level blocks and set the Preserve Fan-out Free Register Node logic option without any luck. 

--- Quote End ---  

It should not matter whether the signal you want to preserve goes to an output port of an entity/module. It is necessary that the signal be a register.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now I found the problem. I mostly uses VARIABLES, but in order to use Preserve Fan-out Free Register it has to be SIGNALS. 

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos