Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Stratix Early Power Estimator

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was trying to run some quick thermal analysis on my EP1S20 device with the Stratix Early Power Estimator. However, it seems like the typical/worst case standby Icc has no affect on the Pmax in the thermal analysis section. That seems rather strange to me that varying temperature has no affect on Pmax. Is there a reasonable explanation for this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The static power will vary, but my guess is, that the variation is simply too small to be investing time and money to model it and put it in an 'early' power estimator. 

The variation of the static power of 90 nm devices was more significant, so there it is available in the EPE. Stratix 1S20 is 130 nm. 

Karl.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Pmax in the Thermal Analysis section refers to the maximum allowable Power for the selected device and package. This is only available in Stratix, Stratix GX, HC Stratix and Cyclone EPE.  

Pmax = max recomended junction temperature - ambient temperature / theta-JA 

*The maximum recommded junction temperature for commercial device is 85C and industrial device is 100C.  

*The ambient temperature in the equation refers to the Ta filled by user at the Thermal Analysis section 

*Theta-JA will based on the device and package selected from the begin of the spreadsheeet.
0 Kudos