Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Incremental compilation problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I developed a project using incremental compilation. I used some signalprobe to debig the systems, and now i need to make a modification to the code and then recompile but the partition merge gives the followin warnings. 

Warning: Forced partitions to use the same Netlist Type setting due to Engineering Change Order (ECO) modifications that span multiple partitions 

Warning: Partition "Top" will use Post-Fit or Post-Fit (Import-based) Netlist Type -- Engineering Change Order (ECO) modifications will be discarded 

Warning: Previously generated Fitter netlist for partition "Top" is older than the current Synthesis netlist, but using the previous Fitter netlist because of the Post-Fit (Strict) Netlist Type setting 

what can I do to recompile the project?  

Thanks
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, I developed a project using incremental compilation. I used some signalprobe to debig the systems, and now i need to make a modification to the code and then recompile but the partition merge gives the followin warnings. 

Warning: Forced partitions to use the same Netlist Type setting due to Engineering Change Order (ECO) modifications that span multiple partitions 

Warning: Partition "Top" will use Post-Fit or Post-Fit (Import-based) Netlist Type -- Engineering Change Order (ECO) modifications will be discarded 

Warning: Previously generated Fitter netlist for partition "Top" is older than the current Synthesis netlist, but using the previous Fitter netlist because of the Post-Fit (Strict) Netlist Type setting 

what can I do to recompile the project?  

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

what kind of changes did you make ? What are your partition setting ( e.g. netlist type and preserving level) ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Top Level is source file, the other are postfit. I want to change the source code in a block included in the top level partition but I can't. It seems the sognalprobe routing has fixed the top level as postfit, deleting the signalprobe pins they are not routed out, but the top level is always compiled as postfit.... 

What can I do? 

Tx
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Top Level is source file, the other are postfit. I want to change the source code in a block included in the top level partition but I can't. It seems the sognalprobe routing has fixed the top level as postfit, deleting the signalprobe pins they are not routed out, but the top level is always compiled as postfit.... 

What can I do? 

Tx 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

open the design partition window. Under Netlist type you find which netlist is used for which partition. If the netlist type for the toplevel is "post-fit" change it by double-click in the cell and choose "source file ". 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

it was the first thing i did, but the top level was source file and also trying to set again to source file nothing happened. The partition merge always gives the warning that to mantaini ECO changes (signalprobe) the new fitter netlist was not used but still uses the old. On the help the solution for this warning is no action!?!?! 

The project is "locked" and i cant do nothing. On the manual I found how to preserve the signalprobe, but did non find anything to solve this problem. 

I am in trouble...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

it was the first thing i did, but the top level was source file and also trying to set again to source file nothing happened. The partition merge always gives the warning that to mantaini ECO changes (signalprobe) the new fitter netlist was not used but still uses the old. On the help the solution for this warning is no action!?!?! 

The project is "locked" and i cant do nothing. On the manual I found how to preserve the signalprobe, but did non find anything to solve this problem. 

I am in trouble... 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

which tool version did you use ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

currently I am using 9.1 version

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

currently I am using 9.1 version 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

any service pack installed? I tried to reproduce your problem with 9.1, but all is working. 

Do use signaltap with post-fitting nodes also ? 

Maybe I know now what happens to your project. I assume you use signaltap with post-fitting nodes. If you do that, you are ask whether you would like to set the netlist type to post-fit and the preserving level to Place&Route. This done for every design partition you touch. After running the project with signaltap you enable some signalprobes and run a signalprobe compilation. 

I found out that as long as you are using the netlist types source or post-synthesis and you 

changed the setting afterwards and re-run the project, all your signalprobes will be disabled ( you get a warning about that). You have to re-run the signalprobe compilation also.  

If one of the partition set to "post-fit" and you try to change one of netlist types Quartus 

will not allow that. You have to change all "post-fit" settings at least to "post-synthesis" and re-run the signalprobe compilation. 

Kind regards 

GPK  

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

no service packs installed. 

I used signalprobe, I deleted signaloprobes and after the signalprobe compilation they are not available and with the oscilloscpe I checked they are not routed, tried to change to post-sinthesis or surce file the block where were signalprobe. The Partition merge still continue to give the same warning so no way to recompile every time it uses the old postfit netlist to fit...I dleleted those partition, no way.... I need to go back to a previos relase o the project and start again, but i would avoid this in the future... 

Any suggestion?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

no service packs installed. 

I used signalprobe, I deleted signaloprobes and after the signalprobe compilation they are not available and with the oscilloscpe I checked they are not routed, tried to change to post-sinthesis or surce file the block where were signalprobe. The Partition merge still continue to give the same warning so no way to recompile every time it uses the old postfit netlist to fit...I dleleted those partition, no way.... I need to go back to a previos relase o the project and start again, but i would avoid this in the future... 

Any suggestion? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

try to set all partitions back to source file. Does that solve your problem ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I will try, but in this way i will loose all the job done with incremental compilation to solve timing issues...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I will try, but in this way i will loose all the job done with incremental compilation to solve timing issues... 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

it is only a trial to see whether it will work.  

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

but in this way i will loose all job done with incremental compilation to solve timing issues
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK! Sorry I gave the same answer two times... I will let you know

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

OK! Sorry I gave the same answer two times... I will let you know 

--- Quote End ---  

hi, 

it is ( at least in my point of view) a bug in version 9.1. If possible change to version 10.0. 

I run my testcase and it looks like that it is ok now. 

The behaviour makes more sense to me. After you run a full compile all your signalprobes are disabled. You have to enable them and run a signalprobe compilation. In case you have a probe on a node which is not longer in your design you got an error.  

I think you should try it. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

i did it but nothing changes...and it happened again on another project... 

is there the possibility to discard all eco modification?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

i did it but nothing changes...and it happened again on another project... 

is there the possibility to discard all eco modification? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

strange ....., but ok. Maybe I'm not doing the same. I have two projects attached. 

I did following steps: 

1. Run with top and subpartition set to "source file" 

2. Set both to Post-fit , Placement & routing 

3. Definiton of two signalprobes ( one for TOP and one for subpartition) 

4. Run signalprobe compilation 

5. Set Top back to "source file" 

In 9.1 I got the warning that the old netlist is used, but 10.0 synthesized Top new and disabled the signalprobes. 

Have a look to both project. If you can reproduce your problem in the 10.0 project post it 

back again. 

BTW.: It looks like that you get rid of your problem when you archive your project and 

restore it again. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, thanks for your help. 

I am not achiving the project, I just copy all the directory to save releases. 

I tried version 10 but it seems it does not mantain the incremental compilation, because it sinthize all parts. How is possible to mantain my project and use it with version 10? starting from the point i am with version 9.1? What do i ned to do? 

Now I check what you attached.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Plets, 

I tried to archive the project and then restore it and ot works... 

I added some code and made some test with signal probe and again after 3 or 4 signal probe compilation when i added more code the project was blocked... archived again and restored and it works... this is very strange.  

What does the archiving process delete form the project?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Plets, 

I tried to archive the project and then restore it and ot works... 

I added some code and made some test with signal probe and again after 3 or 4 signal probe compilation when i added more code the project was blocked... archived again and restored and it works... this is very strange.  

What does the archiving process delete form the project? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

my assumption was that all ECO changes will be skipped in case your archive a project. 

It looks like that it works, but of coarse it is only a workaround. As I mentioned before I 

think it is an Quartus bug. BTW: Did rum some tests with my attached projects ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I did not some test on what you sent. I find that workaround and nowI can continue my job. 

Thanks for your help. 

Stefano
0 Kudos