Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Need a ready made DSP that is similar to an OSD

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need a product similar to this OSD pictured below except I need to be able to program it to do things like pixel comparison between 2 frames and pixel modification etc. the product below is just a simple OSD but hardware wise it is just right. I don't need anything for audio or any of that extra stuff I see in the altera dev kits. It just needs to be capable of processing 640x480 or larger video at 30Hz or more. It should just be a board with 2 analog video ports and a processor. what would be the industry term for what I described? I would guess DSP but that is probably way too vague. http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9168 

http://static.sparkfun.com/images/products/09168-1.jpg  

(http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9168)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unless you need tens or hundreds (thousands?) of the product you describe you are best off using a development board, DSP or FPGA based.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Unless you need tens or hundreds (thousands?) of the product you describe you are best off using a development board, DSP or FPGA based. 

--- Quote End ---  

I will need hundruds of them later. I'm trying to port an existing image processing desktop application to its own board. do you recommend a particular dev kit? it shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars. I don't need LCD screens, storage, networking, or all that other junk that typically comes on these dev kits. just analog in, analog out, power and a processor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd start from an Altera development kit anyway. This gives you a (debugged) schematic you can start with. You create a Quartus project with just inputs and outputs and minimal processing in between. You then see what you need and the strip the schematic (carefully). You can have the layout of the PCB done while you develop the HDL etc. I guess you should be able to buy in a tailored PCB in Qty. 100 at around EUR 125,- (or better).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'd start from an Altera development kit anyway. This gives you a (debugged) schematic you can start with. You create a Quartus project with just inputs and outputs and minimal processing in between. You then see what you need and the strip the schematic (carefully). You can have the layout of the PCB done while you develop the HDL etc. I guess you should be able to buy in a tailored PCB in Qty. 100 at around EUR 125,- (or better). 

--- Quote End ---  

which dev kit? can you link to it? i need something that has the giant support/code base that arduino has but with enough power to handle image processing. by image processing I mean simple things like motion detection and color tracking. Just like CMUcam but more powerful.
0 Kudos