Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16624 Discussions

SOPC custom component: no license?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to run sopc-builder from the command line under linux (in a vm because it ain't working in vista). It's working great (ask me if you want details), except that when I try to use a custom component I get the following: 

Warning: DDR_inst: Used DDR 1.0 (instead of 7.8) 

Progress: current 425:  

Progress: Adding connections 

Progress: current 545:  

Progress: Adding clock domains 

Progress: Validating SOPC 

Progress: current 1745:  

Progress: Done 

Progress: Validating... 

Progress: Generating /root/Desktop/Alex/Projects/D.D.Raucous/Prototype_CS__v0.2.0/IP/SOPC.sopc 

Error: DDR_inst: Error: License file is not specified 

Error: Generation skipped because the system has validation errors. 

What's it talking about? How can i specify a license file for my custom component?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does your "Custom" component use the have the same name of a "Licensed" DDR component? It looks like it might have pulled the stock SOPC DDR controller instead of your version.. 

(Used DDR 1.0 (Instead of 7.8)) message.. 

If you have a true custom component with RTL sources, you shouldn't require a license file for it. (You will require a license file for NIOS, etc) 

If you have a USB dongle, that the license is hooked to you will have to use a Windows based version of Quartus, The linux version only works with floating FLexLM licenses as far as I know.. (At least around version 6.1 time frame) 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's a good idea but it wasn't it. Do you know where the license files for altera's components are/how they're specified? Maybe you know which script is being run, so I can look at the sources? 

Btw, what I'm doing is using the Windows SOPC Builder to save a .sopc file, and then using the linux command sopc-builder --generate <file>.sopc. This flow works when using non-custom components. Note: I don't have a quartus license so I can't use the GUI in linux to try the "normal" flow, but like I said it works like this.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Alex.. Sorry Don't know how altera handles it's licenses. I know for "Licensed" components it ends up being a line in the license file.  

My guess is having the "custom" component probably caused sopc builder to look for a general Altera custom component license line.. which is probably just part of the normal license file.  

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I made an a blank file and pointed LM_LICENSE_FILE to it. It worked!! 

Thank you!
0 Kudos