Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

ed8b10b encoder/decoder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

I have a problem whit the ed8b10b encoder/decoder. I recently bought a quartus II license from altera and i also own a stratix II FPGA board. The quartus II software includes the ed8b10b encoder/decoder in ipmegstore "library". Im opening a new project and do step by step as in the ug_ed8b10b.pdf user guide, i get to compile the design and i still get time limited .sof file: Warning: Megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature will stop functioning in 1 hour after device is programmed. 

I also would like to know if this encoder/decoder can be run on stratix II EP2S60F672C3N? I also get an error in the end when i try to program my device: Error: Can't communicate with device. Device will stop functioning when it reaches its non-tethered mode timeout limit. 

Can anyone please help me whit some helpfull info? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi UltraViolet, 

You should be able to "expand" the message regarding the OpenCore evaluation to determine what ip core is causing the message.  

I believe the ed8b10b encoder/decoder is not included with a quartus subscription, I think you have to purchase it separately. 

Looking at the device family support section of the documentation for the core ("View Literature" link at http://www.altera.com/products/ip/communications/codec/m-alt-ed8b10b.html?gsa_pos=2&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=ed8b10b), the Stratix II is fully supported. 

baver
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello baver! 

yes i had a look at the ug_ed8b10b.pdf file in my quartus installation directory and i saw its fully supported, i asked that question as i read probably an older ug_ed8b10b.pdf from an older quartus version... Do you have any ideea about the cost of that ip? how much would be? aproximate. I have read on altera website that IP's are not sold online but still didnt found a place where to buy from... ill probably make a call in the UK to ask .. :) I also am very new in this and i still have manny other questions.. could you help me start doing something whit this board? i mean the only thing i made was the first test to see if the board function well .. :) id like to learn use its features.. im curious if i can use it as a lan board video card .. any other aplications .. thank you very much for youre quick post reply. 

Regards, 

Alex.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I know you need to call one of their representatives, I've never purchased a license for an IP core before. 

I'm not actually familiar with the board you're using (you didn't specify one, but I've never used a Stratix II dev board - just the Cyclone II DE2, and the SIIGX pex dev board). 

My first suggestion would be to check out google and see if anyone's already done what you're looking to do. A lot of people have written very useful tutorials. If that doesn't work, try understanding how to use each component, create a design, and if you have problems, ask some questions after you've already tried to debug it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You recently planned to test the STX cookbook 8b10b encoder design. Why didn't it work?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear FvM! 

can i have an email address so i can let you know better about my steps? I tryed the STX cookbook and still not working, i get the same errors: 

Info: Successfully loaded and ran Tcl Script File "C:\Documents and Settings\Vaio\Bureau\ed8b10b\test_constraints.tcl" 

Info: Started Full Compilation at Thu Dec 04 00:15:43 2008 Paris, Madrid 

Info: Ended Full Compilation at Thu Dec 04 00:17:06 2008 Paris, Madrid 

Info: SRAM Object File C:/Documents and Settings/Vaio/Bureau/ed8b10b/test_time_limited.sof contains time-limited megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature -- Vendor: 0x6AF7, Product: 0x0079 

Info: Started Programmer operation at Thu Dec 04 00:17:30 2008 

Info: Configuring device index 1 

Info: Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x120930DD 

Info: Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured 

Info: Successfully performed operation(s) 

Info: Ended Programmer operation at Thu Dec 04 00:17:36 2008 

Error: Can't communicate with device. Device will stop functioning when it reaches its non-tethered mode timeout limit. 

Thank you very much for youre question.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your answer! 

The STX cookbook example, as far as I see, isnt' using protected IP, thus it shouldn't run into Opencore evaluation limitation. It may be however limited in functionality compared to the ed8b10b core. I didn't yet try it, I was mainly interested to know if it may be useful for real applications.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see. So i have to buy an ipcore? ed8b10b

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I still think, that the STX cookbook code may be used for some applications.

0 Kudos