Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Disabling Clock signal in FPGA device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

In my design I have an external clock that feeds sequential logic inside the FPGA. But in some specific situation I want the clock beeing disabled so that the registers are no more updated. I need a global disabling. 

One solution is to feed the clock signal in a gate (AND for example), the other AND input will be driven from the enable/disable signal. But I don't know if this solution is really proper inside an FPGA. 

Any other idea?? 

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What device are you using? Are you using a PLL? 

The altclkctrl block in the Megawizard should do what you want. It's controls special logic for getting onto the global, so you don't have to go through general logic for you ANDing function.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is best to use a clock enable instead of a gated clock unless you absolutely must shut down the clock to minimize power. The clock enable will stop the registers from toggling and consuming power, but the clock network still dissipates power. The clock enable is all you need for logic functionality. 

If you must shut down the clock to minimize power, use a clock control block for the gating function if your device family has that feature. Use the altclkctrl megafunction to wire up the clock control block. 

Search the forum for posts by me containing "clock enable" for reasons why you should not gate a clock with logic resources. Anything I said about ripple clocks would apply to gated clocks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My device is cyclone EP1C3T100C8. I use a PLL but the clock I want to disable is fed through CLK2 pin. 

Brad, by "clock enable" you mean the ENA signal found on every register??? 

Whitebird
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

... by "clock enable" you mean the ENA signal found on every register??? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes. 

The Quartus handbook has coding guidelines that show how to write the RTL so that synthesis will infer a clock enable to drive the register ENA input. 

You can also get examples from the text editor templates. In the QII 7.2 text editor, right click and select "Insert Template". Go to "VHDL --> Logic --> Registers" and pick a template labeled with clock enable or a template labeled "with All Secondary Signals".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hy, 

Maybe you can help me, I would like to know, what happens to signal on output pins (Cyclone II), if global clock failure occurs. I mean if clock signal from quartz somehow disappear. :confused: In my opinion the last state is still on output register.  

Uf one more question what happens if I only use logic blocks and not storage block?  

Regards, 

Primoz
0 Kudos