Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

~10x overhead on LoadLibraryExW when application is profiled with VTune

Milian_W_
Beginner

Hello!

On a Windows 10 machine, I just observed a significant overhead of VTune 2017 that mislead me during the profiling session. The top hotspot found by VTune in the bottom-up view pointed to LoadLibraryExW. This was called ~30 times by the application to load plugins at runtime. According to VTune it totalled to ~1.5s of CPU time directly within LoadLibraryExW (i.e. self cost).

I double-checked these results against xperf/UiForETW and could not reproduce the cost there. Indeed, wrapping the calls to LoadLibraryExW within simple timers and outputting the data directly showed an interesting result:

When the application runs normally, without VTune, every plugin took ~5ms to load. But when the application is being profiled by VTune, plugin loading suddenly takes ~50ms for every plugin, so roughly a factor of 10x.

Has anyone ever noticed that? Is that a known limitation of VTune? I'm surprised to see such a large influence of VTune, considering that it should not do much except generating an event when a library is loaded...

Any insight would be welcome, thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

Do you see the overhead with software type of analysis (like Basic Hotspots, Concurrency, Locks & Waits) or with hardware based collectors ( Advanced Hotspots, etc.) ?

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Milian_W_
Beginner

Sorry for the late response. This was done using the software type of analysis to my knowledge.

0 Kudos