Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

2 problems with Threading analysis

GVasi4
Beginner

Hello!

I am trying to profile a C++ application with OpenMP using Intel Vtune Profiler and I have 2 troubles with Threading analysis.
1) If I run the application for a short time (there are different modes and options in this application, so I can vary the time of execution), I reach the limit of 1000 MB collected data in a few minutes.
2) Even if I run application for a short time (data limit isn't reached), after data collection, finalization of the results freezes (see "freeze" picture).

Tell me, please what should I do to solve these problems?

Many thanks! :)

P.S. For example, Hotspot analysis runs relatively correctly. I have Windows 10 and NetBeans with MinGW compiler.

UPD. I've accidentally discovered such options for application that Threading analysis runs correctly (these options corresponds to the most effective and short-time execution). But problems I've mentioned above are still interesting for me because I want to run Threading analysis with different options.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Grigorii,

I suggest you to try HW-based Threading analysis. I can assume that it doesn't freeze but finalization takes too much time, it can occur with results containing big amount of interval objects (seems on a lot of synchronization objects in a short time).

0 Kudos
GVasi4
Beginner

Dear VLADIMIR R.,

thank you for your help!
Unfortunately, HW-based Threading analysis has the same problems :(

0 Kudos
James_T_Intel

Can you confirm what version of Intel® VTune™ Profiler you are using?  Please make sure you are using 2020 Update 1.  Are you able to provide the code for us to try to reproduce?

0 Kudos
GVasi4
Beginner

Dear James T.,

thank you for your response!

Yes, I am using 2020 Update 1. Unfortunately, I can't provide the code.

I think that VLADIMIR R. was right 

it can occur with results containing big amount of interval objects

because I have very bad parallelism on my laptop in general due to unknown causes (see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/vtune/topic/856459).

So, I think that this problem is just a consequence of a bigger one, and I want to solve it first. I think this topic can be closed.

0 Kudos