Analyzers
Community support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
4969 Discussions

APS with multiple executables being run

Scott_L_
New Contributor I

I need help from intel for APS.  I can’t tell what the tool is reporting.  I know this is not really a helpdesk, but going through our official channels for me to get Intel support for this is just going to take a really long time.

The question is I run the APS Linux script for executable proc0.exe.

Proc0.exe is a Fortran code which has call system to procA.exe, procB.exe, procC.exe.

The APS summary says the application name is procC, not proc0.

Are the reported statistics from procC?  Or are they proc0 even though it says procC?  Or is it proc0 and all call system called exe’s?

if anyone could help explain what APS is really doing,  it would be much appreciated.

intel fortran and C  17.1.  on Linux.

My APS summary looks like:

/pw/test/linux/intel/Compiler/17.0.5/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/bin64/aps.sh  acsysrun.exe  -b -i batch.mac >batch2.log

in the log file, I see:

| Summary information
|--------------------------------------------------------------------
  Application      : v599

acsysrun.exe is the exe that I run under APS, but v599.exe as the reported application is an executable that was run under acsysrun.exe via a "call system()".

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Scott,

APS should statistics for the application to launch and all its follow child processes. (Some metrics can be collected system wide but in this case it will cover all the processes including your process of interest). 

We will look why APS reports the process name in some unexpected way though.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos