Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Analyse Memory Consumption of an application

Claudio_K_Intel
Employee

I'm trying to analyse the memory consumption of our application with VTune Amplifier 2019, collected data and wanted to find out in the "bottom -up" timeline with "filtered in by selection"  for a peak all the memory which is at that point allocated by which function.

Is this possible or must i select all steps in the time line and sum that up? The total memory consumption is only be shown in the timeline or is it possible to get a more precise value?

thank you

Claudio

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

Yes the bottom-up grid should provide you exactly this. The usual usage model for memory consumption is to select time region from the left to the peak (the right boundary of the region should be exactly on the peak, not after it) and then sort grid by allocation/deallocation delta to see what functions contributed the most to the memory growth. 

0 Kudos
Claudio_K_Intel
Employee

Thank you Dimitry,

for this info. The memory displayed in the "bottom-up" list and the graph is this the actual RAM used by App or is this the virtual memory which can also be located in a file if generated with mmap?

Cause linux time command shows less maximum set size compared to what i see in VTune.

thank you

Claudio

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

This is all virtual memory that was allocated using API that VTune intercepts. Mmap is intercepted so yes this is possible.

0 Kudos
Claudio_K_Intel
Employee

Thank you Dimitry for this clarification!

Is it possible to change this in the setup or is there a way to find out the maximum of the real RAM usage?

thank you

Claudio

0 Kudos