Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Assert failed while running Profiler 2020 Update 2

Mentopolis
Beginner

Hello,

while running our C++ application in Profiler 2020 update 2 we get in most runs a assertation. The program abort and no performance report is created. Without profiler no such error appears.

Assertion failed: thread_manager_impl:1332: (threads_count != (tpss_u32_t)(-1)) : . Please contact the technical support.

regards

Markus

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

Please let us know the platform details so that we can try from our side.Also run the self checker script which is located in <install_dir>/bin64 .This script is used to validate your installation and system setup,so run this script and let us know the result.

0 Kudos
Mentopolis
Beginner

Hello,

Computer is a Intel (R) Core (TM) I7-2760QM CPU with 2.40 Ghz

when running the checker script in Admin mode i get a Blue-Screen with "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" .. in common i can run in Admin mode but sometimes i also get a bluenscreen when set samples lower than 10 ms

when running the checker in normal user mode i get :

Intel(R) VTune(TM) Profiler Self Check Utility
Copyright (C) 2009-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Build Number: 610396

Instrumentation based analysis check
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with default knob sampling-mode=sw, Threading with default knob sampling-and-waits=sw
Collection: Ok
vtune: Warning: Hardware collection of CPU events is not possible on this system. Microarchitecture performance insights will not be available.
vtune: Warning: To collect microarchitecture performance insights, run the product as administrator.
Finalization: Ok...
Report: Ok

HW event-based analysis check
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with knob sampling-mode=hw, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
Collection: Fail
vtune: Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling due to a problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See the "Sampling Drivers" help topic for further details.
vtune: Error: To collect hardware events, run the product as administrator.

HW event-based analysis check
Example of analysis types: Microarchitecture Exploration
vtune: Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling due to a problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See the "Sampling Drivers" help topic for further details.

HW event-based analysis with uncore events
Example of analysis types: Memory Access

HW event-based analysis with stacks
Example of analysis types: Hotspots with knob sampling-mode=hw and knob enable-stack-collection=true, etc.

HW event-based analysis with context switches
Example of analysis types: Threading with knob sampling-and-waits=hw

The check observed a product failure on your system.
Review errors in the output above to fix a problem or contact Intel technical support.

Log location: C:\Users\mzajc\AppData\Local\Temp\vtune-tmp-mzajc\self-checker-2020.09.04_13.10.12\log.txt

the checker Tool output looks like this

0 Kudos
Vinutha_SV

What analysis are you trying to run? Looks like SEP drivers are not installed. Please make sure the drivers are installed and then try H/W events based sampling collection.

0 Kudos
Mentopolis
Beginner
Just reinstall the software from scratch.. the same result as in the first comment. Are there custom steps needed for setup this driver ?
0 Kudos
Vinutha_SV

Looking at the logs, it is clear that SEP driver is not installed and so h/w event based sampling is failing.

You can install SEP drivers on windows, please refer to below link:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-target/windows-targets/installing-the-sampling-drivers-for-windows-targets.html

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

We are forwarding your case to Subject Matter Experts.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Vinutha_SV

Can you please attach the logs and the result directory to work on the issue?

0 Kudos
Vinutha_SV

Hi,

Since I have not heard from you since 2 weeks, I will be closing this thread in next 2 days.

0 Kudos
Mentopolis
Beginner

sorry for the delay the first mail was gone into the Spam folder.

It seems to work after this steps. Even the hardware based sampling does not show an Bluescreen.

thank you for your support

0 Kudos
Vinutha_SV

Good to know that. I will be closing this thread.

0 Kudos