Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Assertion Failed -- thread_state.runtime_level == tpss_le_out_of_runtime

Lawson__Brett
Beginner

When attempting to use VTune to do software profiling of my application, I receive the following error and the application freezes (though does not appear to crash).  It seems that the assertion is coming from inside vtunes sampler somewhere?

Assertion Failed: runtime_gen_2:165: thread_state.runtime_level == tpss_le_out_of_runtime : thread_state.runtime_level == 2 . Please contact the technical support.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Brett,

please specify VTune version and the system you are working on. 

Do you see this error analyzing all applications or some particular application? Do EBS collections work (Hotspots with Hardware Event-Based Sampling or advanced-hotspots analyses depending on the VTune version)?

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Lawson__Brett
Beginner

Hey Vladimir,

I am using Intel VTune Amplifier 2019.  EBS collection works (although enabling Stack's causes it to collect essentially no information).  It appears to affect all forms of analysis.  The project is performing dynamic code generation; is it possible there is some bad interactions between the sampler and our JIT?

Cheers, Brett

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Brett,

Yes, the bad interaction is a possible root cause. Could you please say a little more how your application works with JIT? 

Also please try to use --mtre-mode=native for the software profiling case. If the assertion is still there we will ask you to provide a reproducer or a core file (probably with some logs) but if it disappears then we can focus only on the interaction with JIT.

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos