Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Bandwidth Analysis doesn't work on Ubuntu

Zeyar_H_
Beginner

Hi,

I am using VTune Amplifier XE 2015 on Ubuntu 14.04 on an Intel Xeon machine. I can run Advanced Hotspots Analysis, but I wish to run Bandwidth to see the exact CPI and cache efficiencies. However, each time I run the Bandwidth analysis, it starts executing and before it gets to parsing/working on the dataset, it hangs and then the whole machine just hangs and I have to force restart the machine. Advanced Hotspots works fine. I am able to run both Advanced Hotspots and Bandwidth on Windows on the exact same machine, which means does Bandwidth Analysis not work on Linux and/or Ubuntu 14.04 specifically?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Recent product is VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 Update 4, which supports Ubuntu* 14.04.

I think that it might be due to processor type - I remember that bandwidth analysis was not supported on Nehalem processor and early processors. Please try this feature on 3nd Core(TM) generation processors or late, for example, SandBridge processors.

0 Kudos
Zeyar_H_
Beginner

Hi,

It's an Intel Xeon E5 v3 (Haswell), so bandwidth analysis should be supported. Plus I mentioned it's working correctly on windows on the exact same machine. It's only in Ubuntu that it's hanging the machine. (I have dual boot on that machine). Any other thoughts? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Asked data for investigating via private message.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

For using Event-based sampling on Haswell EP, please use latest VTune Amplifier XE 2015 U4. Both Advanced-hotspots and bandwidth analysis worked well, verified by Zeyar H.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

what version of Vtune was hanging?

I'm seeing the same behavior with 2015.1.0.367959 - this on a Sandybridge running RHEL 6.6.  Hotspots are fine, memory analysis hangs.

We then tried 2015.2 and 2016 beta - both of these allow memory analysis to run to completion.

Is it safe to assume that 2015 Update 1 has a bug?

Ron

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@Ron

Same problem when using 2015.2, using 2015.4 solved the problem.

Remember to use latest version which supports latest silicon & latest operation systems.

0 Kudos