Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Basic Hotspots analysis not working in VTune XE2017 Update 3 (build 510739)

Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

Has anyone else encountered this?

When I start a Basic Hotspots analysis this "program has stopped working" message box appears:

Pin exec.png

This is with VTune XE2017 Update 3 (build 510739) running an executable built by Intel Fortran XE2015U1 for both Win32 and X64 platforms.

I'm running Vtune as Administrator on WIndows 10 Enterprise 1511 x64. Processors are 2x Xeon E5-2687W v3.

Advanced Hotspots analysis works as expected.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Shailen_Sobhee
Employee

Hello Mark,

Basic hotspot relies on PIN, which performs user-space binary instrumentation. My assumption is that you may have some form of security software on your machine (example: Antivirus) that is preventing PIN from reading information loaded in memory.

Another assumption is that your binary may be encrypted. Depending on the software used for encryption, reading data in memory may be affected. 

What you can do: Temporarily disable any security software on your machine (you may wish to disconnect your network during that time :) )and try Basic HS again. 

Also, please tell us more about the nature of the binary being analysed. Can you try analysing another binary, example mspaint.exe and report if you have the same issue?

Thanks,

Shailen

0 Kudos
Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

Thanks Shailen,

Funnily enough, Basic Hotspots are now working after my machine got some Windows updates and restarted.

I share your suspicion that security software may be interfering with the profiler.

The binary is a Fortran console application; it is not encrypted.  It does, however, link to HaspHL libraries to support dongles; I think I have had issues profiling in the past due to these.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Shailen_Sobhee
Employee

Well, I'm glad the problem is fixed :) Your response will be useful for others having similar issues. 

0 Kudos
Clifton_L_
Beginner

Hi, I am getting a similar issue with the latest update 3. But I did not have this issue using update 2. How do I identify the security software that's doing this ?

Collection failed
    5/23/2017 10:42:48 AM  Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed.
    [Instrumentation Engine]: SYSCALL_INSPECTOR: The NTDLL!NtTerminateThread function jumps out of NTDLL, at 0x7ffb0e0800c4. It may be hooked by a PIN-incompatible software installed on the system Source\pin\base_w\ipc_server_windows.cpp: LEVEL_BASE::StartServer: 2216: assertion failed: res == TRUE

0 Kudos
Richard_G_5
Beginner

I have just had the same problem occur - same VTune build (XE Update 3 (build 510739) ) running as Administrator.

My executable for profiling is built using Visual Studio 2015 (x86, release, with various 3rd party libs and dlls linked in, including MKL.)

Platform is Windows 10 Professional, (ver 1703, build 15063.483) 64 bit

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3

I'd be interested in knowing which Windows updates caused the issue to 'go away' .. or any other solution to this problem.

0 Kudos