Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Blue Screen during advanced hotspots analysis in attach-to-process mode

Hagen_G_
Beginner

Hi,

I saw a Windows blue screen during a VTune analysis for the second time now, so I decided to create a new post about this.

I did an advanced hotspots analysis in attach-to-process mode while 3 instances of my application were running. They were running already for nearly a day (I did a long-term test) before I attached to one of these (independent) instances (advising VTune to attach to a certain process ID). I set the evaluation interval to 10 ms (default), and configured to catch only user events instead of all.

About a minute after attaching, a blue screen came up which said: "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the required time interval." Yet I have seen this blue screen on that machine only when using VTune.

Used hardware: Dell T5610.L, 2x Xeon E5-2687W v2 @ 3.40 GHz, 64 GB RAM.

If Intel is interested in any logs or further information, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards, Hagen

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I think there is already thread for this issue:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/535171

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Hagen - I'm sure the engineering team would welcome any additional information you have, including any kernel memory dump files and a feedback report.

amplxe-feedback -create-bug-report=Hagen_report.zip

Here was the latest request on the thread mentioned:

"Would you please run a sort of reversed experiment: enable call stacks, but disable context switches?

We need to see the picture from different angles. Thanks!""

If you prefer, for secure communications with the VTune Amplifier XE support staff, you can always submit your problem to Intel(R) Premier Support.

https://premier.intel.com/

It's free, secure technical support.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Hagen

Is it possible to upload full kernel dump?

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hagen, which VTune version are you using?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

iliyapolak wrote:

@Hagen

Is it possible to upload full kernel dump?

Or at least minidump.

0 Kudos
Hagen_G_
Beginner

Hi,

I have created premier support issue 6000075075 and will upload further info there.

Regards, Hagen

0 Kudos
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi Hagen - I'm passing my analysis on to the owner of your support incident.  Not 100 percent, but It looks like you need to update a driver:

http://www.areca.com.tw/support/s_windows/windows.htm

This driver is on the hung processor.  Make sure you uninstall the old one first.  

0 Kudos
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

I need to make a correction in that this driver is actually not on the "hung" processor, but rather on the two that appear to be interacting WRT IPI. .  Sending the case owner details again.  You have some anti-virus software driver on the "hung" processor as well as one of the other threads that seems to be involved.  I guess we might want to have you disable/uninstall/update that as well, if you could for sanity sake.

0 Kudos
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
Bernd_Oerding
Beginner

Thanks for the hint, I will disable the Virus scanner when the blue screen appears the next time and see if disabling it has any effect.

0 Kudos