Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Call Graph Collector analyzation problems

pdsrgrs
Beginner

HI,

Iam using Vtune 8 version for calculating total time taken by a particular function of VC++.net. I have question that wheter call graph is used for time measurement of particular function (which is muti function program) or any other profiler must be used?

When runing a call graph, the list gives values like %function(34), self time taken (34),Total Time Taken(34), iam uanble to get inforamtion what the bracket value resemble { 34 or any value} in any vtune documnetaion. Wheterthe valuehas any effect onthe performance evalaution i.e finding total time taken for a particular function in multi function program? If it effects in which way it will effect perforamnce?

When runing an activity in call graph collector and list gives values like %function(34), call(34),total time taken(34). if call graph activity is runned without existing vtune ,it accumulate values and always results are changing and also everytime bracket value increases by 1 value i.e next pressing F5 or running activity again without exit vtune it giving values %function(35), call(35),total time taken(35),%function(36), call(36),total time taken(36),%function(37), call(37),total time taken(37) ......and also actual values are increased by some value. I dont understand ,in what wayit isacumulating values and in which wayitiseffecting the performance of certaion function.

Please resolve this as soon as possible

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I'm not entirely clear about your question. Event sampling, with reasonable settings of sample after values, gives much more accurate assessment of performance. You would have to compare those results to find out to what extent call graph affects performance.
0 Kudos
pdsrgrs
Beginner

Hi,

I am using Call graph collector of VTune 8 version to find the total time taken of function which is written in VC++ environment. In function view, I am unable to find what signifies bracket value in Column name i.e., module (2803), Thread (2803), function (2803),..Etc (the circled areas in the below jpeg image). When running new activity with out closing VTune, the bracket value is increasing by 2 i.e., 2805, the total time taken also changing. I have checked the documentation but could not find anything on it. Could you please help me out how it affects the time taken and in what way the time taken changes.

Module(2803) Thread(2803) Function(2803) Class(2803) Calls(2803)

0 Kudos
aokunev
Beginner
Hi

This is one of design issues in the program. These numbers are basicaly 'Activity ID' and you should not care about much. They can be useful when comparing two results on a single pane - in this case you're able to see what columns belongs to what activities.

I personally don't know about any other use cases for those IDs.

regards, Andrei
0 Kudos
pdsrgrs
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. How can I get accumulated result of time taken of call graph collector when running more activities of same application without closing current project (or VTune).

0 Kudos