Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Can't profile my threaded Application

r4dium
Beginner
I have programmed a Win32 Application based upon DirectX9 and a video library called
FFMpeg with Visual Studio Team System 2008 under Windows Vista Business using MS C++ 9.0 .

When I try to profile the executable by Thread Profiler the following error message pups up:
"TP file not found. The target executable may have exited unexpectedly."
This correlates with the message vista gives me shortly before, which states that the program doesn't work any more.

It seems that something prevents my executable to start. If I simply double klick on it, it starts perfectly.

I am using the /Zi, /fixed:no and /MTd switches.

Regards R4DIUM
0 Kudos
26 Replies
robert_c_3
Beginner

Just one more data point - I am also getting this error on my home system - quad core system running Vista

I am usingIntel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0

Build:719

Get the same error just trying to profile the primes example that comes in the Vtune TProfiler Smpales folder - This is much simpler reproducer if you can get it to work on Intel system on Vista as it only requiress the following dlls

Kernel32.dll

msvcr90d.dll

ntdll.dll

primesbalanced.exe

I have tried running VTune as administrator etc no luck

It just does not seem to create a tp file at all

The TP cahce folder is set to default here:

C:UsersbobAppDataLocalTempCacheTP_Cache

running Thread Profiler places several temp files here but NO TP file is created - I wonder if it is an over zealous Vista protection issue of some kind

Thoughts?

bobc

Found somewhat of workaround for simple Primes example in the VTune/TProfile/Samples folder based on suggestions above

COmpile project with Intel compiler using/Qtprofile switch

when application is run (I had to run as administrator) it creates tp.tp file

THen use Thread Profiler to open the tp.tp file as follows:

File->OpenFile (specify to look for fiels of type Intel Thread Profile (*.tp)) for the file type - navigate to where the application is run (that is where tp.tp is created by default)

Thread Profile date displayed fine for me on the simple Primes exmaple

Am now trying same approach on my "real" app - let you know if that works

BobC

0 Kudos
robert_c_3
Beginner

Found somewhat of workaround for simple Primes example in the VTune/TProfile/Samples folder based on suggestions above

COmpile project with Intel compiler using/Qtprofile switch

when application is run (I had to run as administrator) it creates tp.tp file

THen use Thread Profiler to open the tp.tp file as follows:

File->OpenFile (specify to look for fiels of type Intel Thread Profile (*.tp)) for the file type - navigate to where the application is run (that is where tp.tp is created by default)

Thread Profile date displayed fine for me on the simple Primes exmaple

Am now trying same approach on my "real" app - let you know if that works

BobC

The work around above worked for me on my "real" app as well.

Compile w /Qtprofile & /MD (code generation, runtime library /MD)

Link w Fixed:no

build app

run app - this creates tp.tp & tp.tpd files

run Thread Profiler - do not run any activity here simply opent eh tp.tp file by using:

File->Open File->choose tp.tp (be sure to select file type as tp or else *.* or else you wont see tp.tp as a choice)

Then Thread Rpofiler showed data no problem

Hope this helps

BoB C

0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
Quoting - r4dium
I have programmed a Win32 Application based upon DirectX9 and a video library called
FFMpeg with Visual Studio Team System 2008 under Windows Vista Business using MS C++ 9.0 .

When I try to profile the executable by Thread Profiler the following error message pups up:
"TP file not found. The target executable may have exited unexpectedly."
This correlates with the message vista gives me shortly before, which states that the program doesn't work any more.

It seems that something prevents my executable to start. If I simply double klick on it, it starts perfectly.

I am using the /Zi, /fixed:no and /MTd switches.

Regards R4DIUM

Just one more data point - I am also getting this error on my home system - quad core system running Vista

I am usingIntel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0

Build:719

Get the same error just trying to profile the primes example that comes in the Vtune TProfiler Smpales folder - This is much simpler reproducer if you can get it to work on Intel system on Vista as it only requiress the following dlls

Kernel32.dll

msvcr90d.dll

ntdll.dll

primesbalanced.exe

I have tried running VTune as administrator etc no luck

It just does not seem to create a tp file at all

The TP cahce folder is set to default here:

C:UsersbobAppDataLocalTempCacheTP_Cache

running Thread Profiler places several temp files here but NO TP file is created - I wonder if it is an over zealous Vista protection issue of some kind

Thoughts?

bobc

What version of Thread Profiler are you using?

0 Kudos
bsantana
Beginner

I realized that there is a patch for Thread Profiler (tprofile3.1_010novpe_win.exe) in the net, so I just downloaded, installed it and is running once again the Thread Profiler. Thank you so much for your patiente and help.

Saludos

Benjamn Santana

0 Kudos
sheshadri_manthascha

Hello;

i've got a similar issue..."Application failed to start 0x.... 5"

I'm building ffmpeg (from scratch) using Gcc-4.2.1-sjlj. FFmpeg is configured to shared (--enable-shared --disable-static). I've also disabled strip (not that this helps with MSVC).

The resulting dll's and libs are linked in with our app built in VS8 (i think i've got SP1) - this is a large system. OS is XP with SP3.

VTune ThreadProfiler is 3.1 (installed tprofile3.1_010novpe_win.exe).

First ThreadProfiler was not able find msvcr80d.dll; app runs fine from Explorer or command line.

** Seems to me that ThreadProfiler does not parse or use the manifest files **

So i copied the missing dlls into the default folder.

Now though it can find the dll's (no missing dll warning or error messages in output window), it still does not run.

trying to retool to Intel Compiler for this project i believe is major work and i've got some release bugs (threading related) that i need fix ASAP.

Any thoughts, help ?

- I believe that avutil is being used. how do i avert the symbol table issue alluded to previously in this thread ? our app needs to use avutil...

- are there specific compiler options that can be used w/GCC to prevent this ?

- are there any FFmpeg builds on Intel compiler ? Makefiles, project files that i could perhaps use to jumpstart the project ??

Any help is most appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Sheshadri

0 Kudos
sheshadri_manthascha

ooop!

I get the same error with trying to profile ffplay.exe (everything built using GCC) except that SDL.dll that ffplay loads is built in VS8.

Regards,

S-

0 Kudos