Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Cannot enable advanced capabilities for Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (vtss/vtspp)

Evan_T_
Beginner

I'm trying to use vTune Amplifier XE 2017 Update 3 on RHEL 7.1 to collect advanced-hotspots with stack-and-callcount.

The installation has been successful, and I've followed all the troubleshooting steps in "Building and Managing the Sampling Driver". 

Here's the command I try to run:

-bash-4.2$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.1 (Maipo)
-bash-4.2$ amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -knob collection-detail=stack-and-callcount -analyze-system -d 10
amplxe: Error: Cannot enable advanced capabilities for Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (vtss/vtsspp). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See "Building and Managing the Sampling Driver" help topic for further details.
amplxe: Warning: Stack size option will be changed to 1024 during data collection. If you need a different size please specify it explicity in the analysis type.

When following the troubleshooting advice, I get

-bash-4.2$ /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -q
ACPI DIMM information is not available on this machine: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SLIT'
/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/sepdk/src/insmod-sep: line 180: /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/sepdk/src/dmi_config_log.txt: Permission denied
ACPI information for proximity domain is not available on this machine: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SRAT'
/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/sepdk/src/insmod-sep: line 189: /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/sepdk/src/dmi_config_log.txt: Permission denied
pax driver is loaded and owned by group "users" with file permissions "666".
socperf2_0 driver is loaded and owned by group "users" with file permissions "666".
sep4_1 driver is loaded and owned by group "users" with file permissions "666".
vtsspp driver is loaded and owned by group "users" with file permissions "666".
-bash-4.2$

I've checked the config settings for the kernel build, and all the settings mentioned in the troubleshooting steps are correct.

I have no problem using the normal perf event sampling methods, e.g.

-bash-4.2$ amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -knob collection-detail=stack-sampling -analyze-system -d 10
amplxe: Warning: Stack size option will be changed to 1024 during data collection. If you need a different size please specify it explicity in the analysis type.
amplxe: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.
amplxe: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: amplxe-cl -r /home/evant/r003ah -command stop.

Is there some more information I can get amplxe-cl to print regarding the specific problems with the driver?

0 Kudos
0 Replies