Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Capturing IO Activity using Performance Counters

Jaspal
Beginner

Hello ,

I am running some heavy IO operations ( such as generating huge files or reading them ) on Intel Westmere W3670 and would like to capture this behaviour. Are there any specific counters available for the purpose ?

Also , what do IO_TRANSACTIONS and MEM_UNCORE_RETIRED:UNCACHEABLE denote / mean ?

Thanks ,
Jaspal

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
VTune PMU event-based sampling can't measure the performance of reading / writing disk file, since they are not CPU related operations. My opinion is to use PerfMon program to retrieve data of disk read/sec & write/sec, I think.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Microsoft provides a couple of very simple ways to get that information: - Windows Task Manager - PerfMtr.exe utility ( [PlatformSDKDir]\Bin\... ) - PerfMon.exe utility ( [WindowsDir]\System32\... ) More advanced: - It is possible to embedd a monitoring functionality in some application with Win32 API functions or WMI ( Windows Management Instrumentation ) using Performance Monitoring counters.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
PerfMon Sample: Demonstrates How to Monitor System Performance Using Performance Counters http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa645516(v=VS.71).aspx
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
I think that Xperf is the best option when the performance monitoring is needed.With this tool you can also find quickly code hotspots. >>>- Windows Task Manager>>> For performance monitoring former Sysinternals(M Russinovich) tool Process Explorer is more advanced and posses a larger set of built-in utulities, moreover you are also given a large set of options one of them is stack trace dump.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...It is possible to embedd a monitoring functionality in some application with Win32 API functions or WMI ( Windows Management >>Instrumentation ) using Performance Monitoring counters... You could use a 'WbemTest.exe' WMI utility located in 'WindowsDIR\System32\Wbem' folder. It allows to review WMI namespaces and performance counters.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I am running some heavy IO operations ( such as generating huge files or reading them ) on Intel Westmere W3670 and would like to capture this behaviour. Are there any specific counters available for the purpose ?>>>

Try to run Sysinternals DiskMon utillity.

0 Kudos