Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4555 Discussions

Collecting CPU Time for FLOPS calculation

Linus_N_
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am trying to estimate the number of FLOP and FLOPS for my application by using hardware EBS running from the command line. I have implemented the  __itt_pause()  and __itt_resume() around my algorithm of interest. I run this command:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/VTune Amplifier XE 2015/bin64/amplxe-cl.exe -collect-with runsa -knob event-config=FP_COMP_OPS_EXE.X87:sa=2000000 -start-paused --result-dir foo application.exe

From this article https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/estimating-flops-using-event-based-sampling-ebs the suggested way to calculate the elapsed time is to use CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD and divide with processor frequency and # of cores, however when I run the hotspots analysis I get the CPU time (I assume for the entire application) which should be a sufficient approximation for the elapsed time around my algorithm, is it possible to include a "CPU TIME" measurement by simply adding an extra argument to my command above?

Thanks for any help,

Linus

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Yes, it is possible please try something like:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/VTune Amplifier XE 2015/bin64/amplxe-cl.exe -collect-with runsa -knob event-config=CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC:sa=2000003,FP_COMP_OPS_EXE.X87:sa=2000000 -start-paused --result-dir foo application.exe

I think we use CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC for CPU time calculation for processor architectures from Sandy Bridge.

Then you should see CPU time in summary report and hotspots report or GUI viewpoint should be available.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

Linus_N_
Beginner

Thanks Dmitry, it works on my Xeon E5-2620 which I believe is Ivy bridge. It does not work however on my Xeon E5630 ("Westmere/Nehalem-C"?), I assume it's too old.

Best regards,

Linus