Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Loop Iteration Time using VTune CLI

Jagannath_V_
Beginner
Hi, I am running an OpenMP code on the Intel Xeon Phi. I want to profile the code using VTune amplifier on Stampede to find out the number of loop iterations and the number of distinct array accesses for each loop. I couldn't find the related events anywhere. I want to use the command line interface of VTune so that I can use VTune GUI installed in my local system to see the results in GUI. Can you kindly help me with the appropriate command ? Thanks in advance !!! Regards Jagannath
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Based your requirements , probably you need to insert Frame APIs in code, there is an old article for your references.

Also, please use online helper to check if there is any API change from 2011 version to 2015. 

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Jagannath_V_
Beginner
Thanks for the reply Mr. Peter. I tried to insert Frame APIs in the code and followed all the steps given in the VTune Amplifier's user guide for compiling and linking with ITT APIs but I got the following errors : undefined reference to `__itt_domain_create_ptr__3_0' In function `L_compute_302__par_region1_2_147': undefined reference to `__itt_frame_begin_v3_ptr__3_0' undefined reference to `__itt_frame_end_v3_ptr__3_0' I found the ittnotify.h library in (installation directory of VTune)/include. I even copied the file to my current directory and used #include"ittnotify.h" as well, but still I am unsuccessful in compiling. However, by using Frame APIs I can get details like time taken by a specific part of a code. Is it possible to get the number of distinct array references by any means ?
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Are you using Windows or Linux?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
@Jagannath V It seemed that you had problem to build program with Frame APIs. Please see my notes in this old article - just added command line to build example code which used Frame APIs. It passed VTune test.
0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Jagannath,

I'm afraid that there is no a simple way to collect by VTune disctinct array accesses for a piece of code on Xeon Phi.

What is the end goal of the analysis? Probably we can use other methods to get the results?

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry 

0 Kudos